[comp.databases] ORACLE UNIX Implementation

mjm@atti07.ATT.COM (Michael Matthews x7776) (02/24/90)

Request for info,

I am currently taking an ORACLE course. However, the course is given
on a VAX running VMS and the instructors only know that environment.
I am concerned strictly with the UNIX implementation and they cannot
help me. Can anyone answer quickly the following questions for me:

How does ORACLE manifest itself in the UNIX file system?

- Is it a collection of files or one central file?

- Does it have the capabilty to use raw disk partitions?

- Is the product easy to administer ( especially if raw IO is used ) ?
	You may editorialize on this point.

--
Mike Matthews
IMS / IOS

corpspt@oracle.com (David E. Anderson) (02/27/90)

In article <372@atti07.ATT.COM> mjm@atti07.ATT.COM (Michael Matthews x7776) writes:

>How does ORACLE manifest itself in the UNIX file system?
>
>- Is it a collection of files or one central file?
>
>- Does it have the capabilty to use raw disk partitions?
>
>- Is the product easy to administer ( especially if raw IO is used ) ?
>	You may editorialize on this point.
>
>--
>Mike Matthews
>IMS / IOS
>Basking Ridge, NJ
>attibr!atti07!mjm

Oracle data is stored in a set of one or more pieces of pre-allocated
disk storage, where each piece may be a Unix file or a raw partition.
The Data Base Administrator may add additional pieces, as needed.  Note
that tables may span files/partitions.

Once a raw device has been added to a database, there is no difference in
administration.

David
RDBMS Group
U.S. Support