[comp.databases] Retrieval of hierachical record in relational model

news@usdpyr.ACUSD.EDU (news) (03/03/90)

I am working on school project. My question concerns how to build and access
the multi-level hierachical record in the Oracle's relational model.
Any feedback will be appreciated.

Allen Tsai
University of San Diego
Internet : tsai@usdcsv.acusd.edu
BITNET : tsai@acusd

corpspt@oracle.com (David E. Anderson) (03/03/90)

In article <637@usdpyr.ACUSD.EDU> news@usdpyr.ACUSD.EDU (news) writes:
>I am working on school project. My question concerns how to build and access
>the multi-level hierachical record in the Oracle's relational model.
>Any feedback will be appreciated.
>
>Allen Tsai
>University of San Diego
>Internet : tsai@usdcsv.acusd.edu
>BITNET : tsai@acusd

Allen,

Use the CONNECT BY and START WITH clauses; they are provided for this purpose.
Both are described in the SQL*Plus User's Guide, V2.0 (for RDBMS V5) and the
SQL Language Reference Manual (for RDBMS V6).

David

David E. Anderson
( as of March 9, 1990, independent consultant, ANDERSON@WELL.UUCP)