[comp.databases] INFORMIX HELP

mt1p@VOLGA.EDRC.CMU.EDU (Michael Terk) (06/01/88)

I am very new to using Informix. Actually all that I have done is to create
a database and some tables and now I want to perform some queries. The
problem I came up against, is that the reference guide to RSQL or ESQL does
not say that I can use C functions such as sqrt,sin,cos in the WHERE clause
of the SELECT statement. The application I am working on requires that I
find an entry in a table that satisfies something like
     (bf * (sqrt (tf / d)) >= 1200 and
     (d ** tw) / 12000 >= 200
with the objective function of MIN(d). I need to find out how easialy are
these things done in Informix, so I can either continue working with it, or
switch to another DBMS. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike Terk

bobd@bloom.UUCP (Bob Donaldson) (06/02/88)

In article <1811@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, mt1p@VOLGA.EDRC.CMU.EDU (Michael Terk) writes:
> of the SELECT statement. The application I am working on requires that I
> find an entry in a table that satisfies something like
>      (bf * (sqrt (tf / d)) >= 1200 and
>      (d ** tw) / 12000 >= 200
> with the objective function of MIN(d). I need to find out how easialy are
> these things done in Informix, so I can either continue working with it, or
> switch to another DBMS. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about Informix, but we have done similar things with Empress/32
(runs under Unix on most anything, under VMS on VAX, under DOS on PC/AT).  It
requires a little customization, but that is a strength of Empress: it lets
you bind in your own C functions and define them to SQL so they can be used
in either the select clause or the where clause.  VERY helpful for scientific
applications!!

Bob Donaldson              ...!ut-emx!juniper!radian!bobd
Radian Corporation
PO Box 201088              (512) 454-4797
Austin, TX  78703

Views expressed are my own, not necessarily those of my employer.

bobb@netcom.UUCP (Bob Beaulieu) (03/03/90)

I am currently using Informix 3.3 on a Plexus P/60 and having trouble with
float field and roundings.
Ex. If I imput the data as 2.3, it ends up with a value of 2.98799963...?
Why can't it just be 2.3? This is difficult when acegos are looking for
a value of 2.3 and doesn't see it. Has anyone experienced this problem and
any solutions available?

Thanks for your help.

Bob B.

--

o                   Bob Beaulieu 277-b Tyrella Avenue                   o