[comp.databases] Free DBMS under Unix

muller@phoenix.src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) (03/01/90)

There have been so many messages requesting a free DBMS on Unix that
I'd like to make a little summary of what is available.

 o One free DBMS is University INGRES.

   You can find it at : postgres.berkeley.edu      (128.32.149.1)
   (file ingres89.tar.Z in /pub)

   University INGRES (v8.9) has been tested on Vax and Sun3 SunOs 3.x
   it appeared there were some problems using it under SunOs 4.0
   (core dumped during the demo).

   I saw an announce of a patch, solving this problem on
   um.sun (Sun-Spots Digest, I don't know where it comes from)
   and it seems to work well now (it is not a warranty, ok? :-)
   Following is the message and the patch archive address.

 o Postgres is also available in the same directory (v1r2)

   Postgres seems to run only on SUN3 under SunOS 3.x according to the
   README file.

 o It doesn't seem to exist another free DBMS ! If you know something new,
   please post a follow-up on comp.databases. Thx.

Cheers,
Christophe.

 = Got thirteen channels of shit on the T.V. to choose from ...to choose from =

------------------------------
Date:    Tue, 6 Feb 90 23:46:37 JST
From:    Motomichi Toyama <toyama@ae.keio.ac.jp>
Subject: Re: University Ingres on a Sparc Station 1

   >From: rod@brillig.umd.edu (Rodrigo Fontecilla)
   >Date: 29 Jan 90 18:52:02 GMT
   >
   >I just ftp-ed University Ingres and succesfully compiled it on my
   >SparcStation 1 running SUNOS 4.0.3. However, when I tried to use the demo
   >relation it blows up. Most commands work but the most important: retrieve
   >does not. Below is the ingres session. Any suggestions?  Recompile with
   >different options? I would appreciate any help in this matter. Thanks in
   >advance.

I made the following patch to make ingres8.9 runnable on my SparcStation1.
It hasn't been tested extensively, but seems work properly.

Assuming the current directory is ~ingres/source. You can patch the
sources via the command:

                patch -p0 < ingres.patch

[[Ed's Note: placed in archives at Rice.]]

FTP:    Hostname : titan.rice.edu (128.42.1.30)
        Directory: sun-source
        Filename : ingres.patch

Archive Server Address: archive-server@rice.edu
Archive Server Command: send sun-source ingres.patch

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (03/01/90)

Will University INGRES run on either the HP 300 series or 800 series?
--
Bill Meahan			Starter Motor Engineering
				Ford Motor Electrical & Fuel Handling Div.

gunnar@hafro.is (Gunnar Stefansson) (03/01/90)

muller@phoenix.src.umd.edu (Christophe Muller) writes:

> o It doesn't seem to exist another free DBMS ! If you know something new,
>   please post a follow-up on comp.databases. Thx.

Reldb was posted to comp.sources about mid-year 1989.  It's built up as
a collection of tools, as opposed to a single huge program.  The usual
operations for doing row, column-extraction and joins of
relational-style tables are all there, along with a plotting program and
some plot(1) filters (including one for X11).

All tables are ascii files. In one sense, these utilities are simply an
extension of awk, join, cut, cat etc, which allows named referencing to
columns. Used together, these tools allow you to do anything you can do
with other dmbs's - sometimes slower and sometimes faster.

We tend to use these programs together in shell scripts, which can then
be made to do whatever you like.

Interfaces to statistical packages such as SAS, S, BMDP and Glim are
available.

Gunnar

Acknowledgement: Reldb was public domain a workalike of Prelude, sold by
VenturCom, Inc.  Prelude has grown into a much larger system by now.
Reldb has grown less and in a somewhat different direction.  In general,
though, if you know one, you know the other.

Gunnar Stefansson                       Uucp: {mcvax,enea}!hafro!gunnar
Marine Research Institute		Internet: gunnar@hafro.is
P.O. Box 1390,Reykjavik    		Tel: +354 1 20240 Fax: +354 1 623790

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (03/03/90)

In article <154@hafro.is> gunnar@hafro.is (Gunnar Stefansson) writes:

   Reldb was posted to comp.sources about mid-year 1989.  It's built up as a
   collection of tools, as opposed to a single huge program.  The usual
   operations for doing row, column-extraction and joins of relational-style
   tables are all there, along with a plotting program and some plot(1)
   filters (including one for X11).

   All tables are ascii files. In one sense, these utilities are simply an
   extension of awk, join, cut, cat etc, which allows named referencing to
   columns. Used together, these tools allow you to do anything you can do
   with other dmbs's - sometimes slower and sometimes faster.

This sounds like \rdb as documented in the relatively new book "UNIX
Relational Database Management: Application Development in the UNIX
Environment" by Rod Manis, Evan Schaffer, and Robert Jorgensen.  A good book
on how to development an application system using the Unix shell language as a
4GL environment.  The book discusses building a relational database system
using ASCII files and standard(?) UNIX commands.  It also shows many of the
shells that were built to support this idea.  An interesting (and somewhat
overlooked) book.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mt. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

sakkinen@tukki.jyu.fi (Markku Sakkinen) (03/05/90)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Mar2101024@uunet.UU.NET> cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes:
->In article <154@hafro.is> gunnar@hafro.is (Gunnar Stefansson) writes:
->
->   Reldb was posted to comp.sources about mid-year 1989.  It's built up as a
->   collection of tools, as opposed to a single huge program.  The usual
-> ...
-This sounds like \rdb as documented in the relatively new book "UNIX
-Relational Database Management: Application Development in the UNIX
-Environment" by Rod Manis, Evan Schaffer, and Robert Jorgensen.  A good book
- ...

But note that /rdb is _not_ public domain.
It is available as a product from a company called
Robinson Schaffer & Wright (at least was), and the price is not excessive.

Markku Sakkinen
Department of Computer Science
University of Jyvaskyla (a's with umlauts)
Seminaarinkatu 15
SF-40100 Jyvaskyla (umlauts again)
Finland
          SAKKINEN@FINJYU.bitnet (alternative network address)