[comp.databases] Hosed Raw Partition in Oracle.

rahil@i88.isc.com (Rahil M. Nizamuddin) (03/03/90)

   Thanks.

--
Rahil M Nizamuddin (800)-LAI-UNIX x253
Interactive Systems Corporation

rahil@i88.isc.com (Rahil M. Nizamuddin) (03/03/90)

Context : Pyramid 9815 running Oracle V 5.1.

Problem : A particular disk partition had been allocated as
		  raw partition for Oracle.
		  A novice system admin tried to create a filesystem
		  on  a partition that overlapped the above one.
		  The system crashed when a user tried to create a
		  file on this new "filesystem";
		  The dbase has been in production for a week since the
		  above event, with no visible damage.
		  However, a " select count(*) operation on large
		  tables yields the following error :

		  Error at line 1: ORA-0327 diolcb : block/rba pid
		  incorrect after read.

Questions :
			1. How can we determine what data has been damaged?
			2. What are the recovery procedures ? ( besides
			   using AIJ files and old backup tapes )

Any response will be appreciated.
Thanks.
--

corpspt@oracle.com (David E. Anderson) (03/06/90)

In article <1990Mar3.014154.5215@i88.isc.com> rahil@i88.isc.com (Rahil M. Nizamuddin) writes:
>Context : Pyramid 9815 running Oracle V 5.1.
>
>Problem : A particular disk partition had been allocated as
>		  raw partition for Oracle.
>		  A novice system admin tried to create a filesystem
>		  on  a partition that overlapped the above one.
>		  The system crashed when a user tried to create a
>		  file on this new "filesystem";
>		  The dbase has been in production for a week since the
>		  above event, with no visible damage.
>		  However, a " select count(*) operation on large
>		  tables yields the following error :
>
>		  Error at line 1: ORA-0327 diolcb : block/rba pid
>		  incorrect after read.
>
>Questions :
>			1. How can we determine what data has been damaged?
>			2. What are the recovery procedures ? ( besides
>			   using AIJ files and old backup tapes )
>
>Any response will be appreciated.
>Thanks.
>--
>Rahil M Nizamuddin (800)-LAI-UNIX x253
>Interactive Systems Corporation
>1901 North Naper Boulevard
>Naperville IL 60563.

Rahil,

Unfortunately full database recovery is probably required.  Because the blocks
within files and raw devices are managed by the database, tables can be
composed of extents throughout your database. Overwriting the raw device
may therefore damage datablocks within many tables.  If you have an export
of the database, you may recover portions.  Try SELECT * FROM  yourtable
for each table; those which return errors must be imported from backup exports.
If the 327 error is returned when you drop a table or perform other operations
which alter the data dictionary, you definitely must rebuild the database in
its entirety.

David
(Until March 9, 1990)                        after: independent consultant
RDBMS Group                                         ANDERSON@WELL.UUCP
US Customer Support
Oracle Corporation