[comp.databases] How good is DBASE IV

crw90@wash08.uucp (03/06/90)

Hello out there!

	How does DBASE IV rate as a true relational database?  Does
it have true data integrity checks (cannot add a records to a child
table unless a referenced record exists in the parent table, etc.)?
Can someone suggest some other PC based database products that are
truly relational?  Please let me know.

	Send response to ..!uunet!wash08!wash02!crw90

					Thanks,
					Craig W.

Potential vendors are welcome to respond!!

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar5.200741.12539@wash08.uucp>, crw90@wash08.uucp writes:
> 	How does DBASE IV rate as a true relational database?  Does
> it have true data integrity checks (cannot add a records to a child
> table unless a referenced record exists in the parent table, etc.)?

By my definition, dBASE is relational--it supports relational algebra of
various kinds on normalized tables of data.  It certainly isn't hierarchical.
As I take your meaning, however, "true relational" does not describe
dBASE.  Referential integrity, in particular, is the responsibility of
the programmer and can be defeated by a determined interloper (using DOS).
The check you refer to (constraint based on lookup in a child table) can
easily be programmed using the dBASE language.

> Can someone suggest some other PC based database products that are
> truly relational?  Please let me know.

SQL systems tend to be more "truly relational," and I've heard good things
about Borland's QBE-based Paradox.  But over the years dBASE has been
phenomenonally successful because it allows "true relational" but doesn't
hold your hand.  Like the C language vs. Pascal, I suppose--you get raw
power but with it comes responsibility (I ought to set this to music).

Hope it helps.

/alastair/

> Potential vendors are welcome to respond!!

Thanks, I did.
Standard Disclaimer> These are my opinions, not Ashton-Tate's.