[comp.databases] does dbaseIII+ exist in French?

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (03/15/90)

In article <186@uncmed.med.unc.edu> danielg@uncmed.med.unc.edu () writes:
>Is the programming language of her package in 'easy-use-*French*-like'
>style, or is there only one dbaseIII+, period, for the whole world, like
>it or not? :^).  Will my app. run on her package?

We have an international translation center outside London that produces
many, many different international versions.  In each, not only is the
documentation in the local language, but all text within the program is
translated as well, so her menus, help text, and so on are all "en
Francais".  The actual dBASE language is unchanged: PRGs still contain
English words like "IF", "DO" and so on; in short, your application will
run perfectly well on her system.

--Cy--    cy@dbase.a-t.com

jdudeck@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (John R. Dudeck) (03/16/90)

In article <186@uncmed.med.unc.edu> danielg@uncmed.med.unc.edu () writes:
>I have an application, written in dbaseIII+ code.  My friend here, from
>Paris tells me that her lab also has dbaseIII+, and that it is all in
>French.  I asked her if just the manuals were in French, but she says that
>the menus may be in French also, not sure.
>
>Is the programming language of her package in 'easy-use-*French*-like'
>style, or is there only one dbaseIII+, period, for the whole world, like
>it or not? :^).  Will my app. run on her package?

Ashton-Tate is pretty big in France.  Actually they have a French licensee
called La Commande Electronique (if I remember correctly).  They do a
Francicised version of all the A-T products, and sell them at a hefty
markup (about 4x the English version, I think).  They had dBaseIV out at
the same time as the US, or within a few weeks of its release.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the dBaseIII LANGUAGE
is the same as the US version, but all the prompts, error messages, etc,
are in french, as well as the manuals, of course.

--
John Dudeck                           "You want to read the code closely..."
jdudeck@Polyslo.CalPoly.Edu             -- C. Staley, in OS course, teaching

robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca (R.Meunier 8525) (03/16/90)

	DBASE III+ and DBASE IV are sell in Canada in french so you don't
have to buy from France
Robert Meunier                     Institut de Recherche d'Hydro-Quebec
Ingenieur                          1800 Montee Ste-Julie, Varennes
Internet: robert@ireq.hydro.qc.ca  Qc, Canada, J3X 1S1