[comp.databases] UNIX DBMS's

mlj@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.juliar) (03/15/90)

If you are interested in information on UNIX DB's, take a
look at "UNIX Database Management Systems" by Ulka Rodgers,
1990, published by Yourdon Press, distributed by
Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-945593-0.  It covers the
theoretical foundations of DBMS, UNIX and DBMS applications,
four UNIX DBMS's (Informix, Ingres, Oracle, and ACCELL from
Unify), and selecting a DBMS.  Good knowledge at a good
depth rather well presented.

Michael Juliar
att!mtuxo!mlj

dennism@menace.rtech.COM (Dennis Moore) (03/17/90)

In article <4206@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> mlj@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.juliar) writes:

>If you are interested in information on UNIX DB's, take a
>look at "UNIX Database Management Systems" by Ulka Rodgers,
>1990, published by Yourdon Press, distributed by
>Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-945593-0.  It covers the
>theoretical foundations of DBMS, UNIX and DBMS applications,
>four UNIX DBMS's (Informix, Ingres, Oracle, and ACCELL from
>Unify), and selecting a DBMS.  Good knowledge at a good
>depth rather well presented.
>
>Michael Juliar
>att!mtuxo!mlj

This is probably not a very objective book (although I have never seen it),
given that Ulka Rodgers is a District Manager for Oracle Corporation.

-- Dennis Moore, my own opinions, blahblahblah

dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) (03/20/90)

In article <4206@cbnewsj.ATT.COM> mlj@cbnewsj.ATT.COM (michael.juliar) writes:

>If you are interested in information on UNIX DB's, take a
>look at "UNIX Database Management Systems" by Ulka Rodgers,
>1990, published by Yourdon Press, distributed by
>Prentice-Hall, ISBN 0-13-945593-0.  It covers the
>theoretical foundations of DBMS, UNIX and DBMS applications,
>four UNIX DBMS's (Informix, Ingres, Oracle, and ACCELL from
                                                 ^^^^^^
>Unify), and selecting a DBMS.  Good knowledge at a good
>depth rather well presented.
>
>Michael Juliar
>att!mtuxo!mlj

Accell/SQL, from Unify Corp., is not a database management system.  It is an
application development system, consisting of a 4GL and a WYSIWYG form
generator.  Accell/SQL runs on Unify's RDBMS, Unify 2000, as well as Oracle,
Informix, Sybase and SCO Integra.

--
David Harrington                                      internet: dgh@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation                               ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!dgh