[comp.databases] Informix locks on resources

stumpf@gtenmc.UUCP (Jon S. Stumpf) (03/06/90)

Has anyone ever had locks on resources that were left
unlocked due to processes that abnormally exited?  This
would effectively deadlock processes waiting on the
resources.  I am running Informix Turbo 2.10.3 (as reported
by isql).

A simple program that can show me that tbinit fails to
clear locks or maybe a recount of an event that happened
at your site is what I am looking for.  Thanks in advance.

--
 jss - Jon S. Stumpf

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (03/21/90)

The following commentary is my own and in no way represents any
official opinion of Informix.

>In article <370@mtndew.UUCP>, friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
>>
>> Oh boy.  Turbo uses a shared-memory interface that lets all the
>> various processes talk to each other, and it is remarkably
>> easy for a process to go away and leave things locked.  We use
>> ISQL on the 3B15 with a similar shared-memory setup and we have
>> no end of problems with it.

Steve, I think that you are mixing two completely separate issues here.
The original poster had asked about Informix-Turbo.  The "similar shared-
memory setup" that you refer to here has to do with the shared memory
version of the standard engine (SE), which is a *completely* different
animal.  Also, if I remember right from prior conversations, you
were working with shared memory SE as early as the 2.00.03/5 releases,
which did have acknowledged problems in the 3B15-specific assembler
code.  Are the problems that you refer to present in the most recent
version (2.10.03K on the 3B15, I think) ?  In any event, those
particular problems with locks on detaching processes did not apply
to Turbo.

In article <2314@promark.UUCP> mark@promark.UUCP (Mark J. DeFilippis) writes:
>Oh boy is right.  I just took a new job where I will be doing much coding
>in C and ISQL.  I worked extensively with the product for about 2.5 years over
>2 years ago.  Lots of problems.  Interesting how some things never change.
>When my new employer said they were having a hard time getting people who
>know UNIX, C and ISQL, I think he meant "getting people who WILL WORK IN
>ISQL".
>--
>Mark J. DeFilippis

begin flame;

Jeez.  "Lots of problems" in ISQL.  O.K., whatever you say.

In any event, if you want to post random flames about a company,
fine, this is a public forum.  However, to submit  such a response
to a sincere question a user had about a particular product (Turbo)
with which you have no experience (as you stated to me in a phone
conversation during the time you were working with ISQL 2 years ago)
is, in my opinion, irresponsible.  If you have since worked with Turbo
and encountered genuine bugs in it, I apologize in advance.

commit flame;

--
Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.       "We're homeward bound
aland@informix.com  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland   ('tis a damn fine sound!)

endrizzi@sctc.com (Michael Endrizzi ) (03/22/90)

 Hi,

I hope I haven't sent this questionaire to you already.
Ignore it if you have seen it already.

On the net I noticed that you work for Informix.
I have a couple questions that perhaps you could
answer or pass on to someone who would know more.

My professor and I are doing research in fault-tolerant
information recall.  This means that a data base query
will always recall information in the presence of
faults. If data is corrupted in the query and/or data
is corrupted in the database, searches will always
return the "best" match.

We have developed an SQL RDBMS prototype that
exhibits very high recall rates (high 90% for single
errors). We feel that this technology could be very
useful in OLTP systems (airline reservations, library
searches, law enforcement, banking, financial) where
human users under pressure tend to make mistakes and
create corrupted information. This technology also solves
problems associated with corrupted foreign keys in
Join operations.

My questions are:

	1) Have you ever heard about this type of
	   technology before?
	2) Have your customers ever asked you about
	   this capability
	3) Do your products address the problems
	   associated with corrupted information?
	4) Do you feel that working with corrupted
	   information is/will be a problem as the
	   need of OLTP grows.
	5) Would your company be interested in this
	   technology?

I would appreciate any help you could give me in answering
these questions.  Thank you for your time.

				Dreez

               Michael J. Endrizzi
	Secure Computing Technology Corp.
	   1210 W. County Road E #100
	      Arden Hills, Mn. 55112
	        endrizzi@sctc.com
	          (612) 482-7425

*Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are not of my employer
             but of the American people.