[comp.databases] Problems With Informix Turbo Engine

hugh@slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) (03/19/90)

I've seen several postings which say some very bad things about the
shared memory scheme used by the Informix Turbo Engine. However, I have
seen no postings to the contrary from people at Informix. This is of
particular interest to me since I have just completed an evaluation of
Informix (4GL, SQL, Turbo) and I thought they were pretty good
products.

How about some responses from you folks at Informix. I know some of you
read this newsgroup.

jon@altos86.Altos.COM (Jonathan Ma) (03/20/90)

I've worked with Informix-Turbo for several years.  About a year ago, we
tried to do performance tuning on the Altos 2000 (i386 20MHz) system.
We tried so many things to speed up the TPS (transaction-per-second)
using the Informix-Turbo engine without much improvement.  As a matter
of fact, for the 2000DP (Dual processor), the spin-wait-lock in shared
memory will slow down the TPS.

In my openion, Informix-Turbo is pretty solid, utilizing the latest
technology in Unix System V IPC, raw disk, and TCP/IP (for networking).
The new version, Informix-Turbo 4.00, is even better with compiled
commit-work and double buffering.

--
-Jon-                Jonathan Ma, Altos Computer Systems
                     Internet: jon@altos.com

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) (03/20/90)

<
< How about some responses from you folks at Informix. I know some of you
< read this newsgroup.

There are a whole host of questions you might want to ask them.
You might ask whether they can do anything about shared memory
lockups.  You might ask them whether they care.  You might ask
whether they ever send "regrets" that bug fixes will not be made
available for some machines for which they still accept full
maintenance money for.  Gee, so many questions...

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"How could anybody look at Miss April and *not* believe in a God?" - me

bgolden@infmx.UUCP (Bernard Golden) (03/21/90)

:In article <376@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
:>In article <40651@fmsrl7.UUCP>, hugh@slee01.srl.ford.com (Hugh Fader) writes:
:>< I've seen several postings which say some very bad things about the
:>< shared memory scheme used by the Informix Turbo Engine. However, I have
:>< seen no postings to the contrary from people at Informix. This is of
:>< particular interest to me since I have just completed an evaluation of
:>< Informix (4GL, SQL, Turbo) and I thought they were pretty good
:>< products.
:><
:>< How about some responses from you folks at Informix. I know some of you
:>< read this newsgroup.
:>
:>There are a whole host of questions you might want to ask them.
:>You might ask whether they can do anything about shared memory
:>lockups.  You might ask them whether they care.  You might ask
:>whether they ever send "regrets" that bug fixes will not be made
:>available for some machines for which they still accept full
:>maintenance money for.  Gee, so many questions...
:>

Yes, we can do something about shared memory lockups.  The primary effort
we have made is to significantly upgrade the robustness of this area of
the code in our next release (4.00, available momentarily).  While not
trying to excuse any problems you may have encountered in the past, this
is an extraordinarily complex area of the product, which makes sense,
given that it controls concurrency, disk updating, and logging.  It is
also an area of the code that impacts overall performance of the product,
so we have to try to think up clever ways of doing this work; a brute-force,
absolutely safe approach is usually not acceptable.

We care a lot.  I believe the quality of our product is very good and we
are constantly striving to further improve it.

With respect to the issue of bug fixes, I don't know which particular bug
fix you are referring to.  There are tradeoffs that come into
play when deciding which bugs to fix, with the issues usually being
severity of a particular bug, severity of other bugs outstanding,
desireability of a feature vs. some number of bugs that could be coded in
the same time, etc.  Our policy is that the most severe bugs get priority.
Sometimes this means that a less-severe bug will not be addressed in
the next release.  This of course ignores the issue of the bug that flows
in the day after you freeze a release.  For example, release XXX freezes
3/15.  On 3/16 an irritating but not devastating bug comes in from a
customer.  Release XXX won't be held up for this fix, so it is sent off
to be ported to lots of machines.  This process takes months to complete
on every machine we support.  Customer YYY (who reported the bug )
gets release XXX on his machine five months later and sees the bug and
wonders why it isn't fixed.  We are reluctant to continue feeding bugfixes
into ports because of the possibility of unanticipated consequences.

We will cheerfully accept your money for these efforts.  Life is too short
for regrets.

-b

:>--
:>Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
:>+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl
:>
:>"How could anybody look at Miss April and *not* believe in a God?" - me
:
:

sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) (03/22/90)

:From article <3656@infmx.UUCP>, by bgolden@infmx.UUCP (Bernard Golden):

> With respect to the issue of bug fixes, I don't know which particular bug
> fix you are referring to.  There are tradeoffs that come into
> play when deciding which bugs to fix, with the issues usually being
> severity of a particular bug, severity of other bugs outstanding,
> desireability of a feature vs. some number of bugs that could be coded in
> the same time, etc.  Our policy is that the most severe bugs get priority.

Which bugs to fix.  WHICH BUGS TO FIX!!  ->>>FIX THEM ALL!!!!<<<-
Informix is always in the news about how successful they are.  One would
think that some money could be spent on hiring a programmer or two to
fix bugs that have been in the products for years.

> Sometimes this means that a less-severe bug will not be addressed in
> the next release.  This of course ignores the issue of the bug that flows
> in the day after you freeze a release.  For example, release XXX freezes
> 3/15.  On 3/16 an irritating but not devastating bug comes in from a
> customer.  Release XXX won't be held up for this fix, so it is sent off
> to be ported to lots of machines.  This process takes months to complete
> on every machine we support.  Customer YYY (who reported the bug )
> gets release XXX on his machine five months later and sees the bug and
> wonders why it isn't fixed.  We are reluctant to continue feeding bugfixes
> into ports because of the possibility of unanticipated consequences.

Of course, you couldn't actually include a list of known bugs with the
product so a customer would know what to look out for instead of spending
days trying to find out why a program isn't working, then calling Informix
to report the bug only to find out that they already know about it and
that the bug won't be fixed until _maybe_ the next realease.

> We will cheerfully accept your money for these efforts.  Life is too short
> for regrets.

You have already accepted a customer's money for the product AND for
maintenance.  What more money do you want (remember:  they aren't price
increases, they are machine reclassifications)?

Somehow, I don't think your posting had the soothing effect that was
intended.
--
Michael Sullivan          uunet!jarthur!aqdata!sullivan
aQdata, Inc.              sullivan@aqdata.uucp

peter@thirdi.UUCP (Peter Rowell) (03/22/90)

In article <3656@infmx.UUCP> bgolden@infmx.UUCP (Bernard Golden) writes:
>:In article <376@mtndew.UUCP> friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) writes:
>:>You might ask them whether they care.  You might ask
>:>whether they ever send "regrets" that bug fixes will not be made
>:>available for some machines for which they still accept full
>:>maintenance money for.  Gee, so many questions...
>:>
>With respect to the issue of bug fixes, I don't know which particular bug
>fix you are referring to.  There are tradeoffs that come into
>play when deciding which bugs to fix, with the issues usually being

    [deleted list of reasons why bug fixes are not available]

>We are reluctant to continue feeding bugfixes
>into ports because of the possibility of unanticipated consequences.

    This sounds like "we will probably break something else, so it's
    better to live with the bugs you already know about".

>We will cheerfully accept your money for these efforts.  Life is too short
>for regrets.

and this seems to boil down to:

    "you pay your support money and, in return, we cash the check!"

Since this posting lacked the standard disclaimer, one might think that
this was a statement on behalf of Informix.  If so, it is disturbing in
the extreme.  I would strongly urge anyone who speaks *officially* for
Informix to respond immediately to the net about *exactly* how this
person's statements differ from Informix practice.  In particular, I
would ask for a response to Steve Friedl's statement that known bugs
are not fixed in versions for which Informix is still collecting full
maintenance.  Is this true?  Steve, do you have specifics?

Peter Rowell				peter@thirdi.uucp
Third Eye Software, Inc.		...!{apple,pyramid,sun}!peter
535 Middlefield ROad, Suite 170		(415) 321-0967
Menlo Park, CA  94025

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (04/07/90)

In article <1990Mar28.000821.28170@aqdata.uucp> sullivan@aqdata.uucp (Michael T. Sullivan) writes:
>:From article <2296@tellab5.tellabs.com>, by segel@tellab5.tellabs.com (Mike Segel):
>>
>> Could you please tell me of a Software company that actually tells you ALL the
>> know bugs in the current release? Would you still buy the package?
>
>Microport used to do this.  Of course, they're out of business.  I don't
>buy an awful lot of software packages to give an industry-wide rundown.
>It sure gave me the warm fuzzies to see that a company cared enough about
>its customers to let it know about known bugs and fixed bugs.  Would YOU
>buy a package from a company with the confidence to supply a bugs list??
>Why wouldn't you?
>--

 I think that all software vendors are faced with a client base who
 frequently precieve the vendor as marketing driven and more interested
 in new sales . Every vendor usually tries to service the client and
 make information available and obviously not every customer is going
 to use the service properly or at all which can increase their
 frustration .

 Cognos has set various procedures in place which try to ensure that
 any major problem that a client reports is resolved in a manner that
 is acceptable to the client . This may be a simple workaround to a
 patch : patching however raises the clients expectations for the next
 problem he reports ..... "I want a patch !!!!! NOW !!!!!!" .

 Information flow between both parties is critical and this requires
 that the customer designate primary contacts who will liase between
 the vendor and thehe programmers . This reduces the frequency of
 bugs reports/newsletters etc being shoved in someone private hoard
 of notes . The vendors sales force must also be proactive by visiting
 or calling the clients to see whats happening this may not result
 in problems being fixed immediatley but creates those warm fuzzies
 that many people like .

 Any vendor who does not appear to care about existing clients is
 greatly reducing the number of reference sites that he can use to
 leverage new sales . As for would someone buy from a vendor who
 admits that there are 100,300,500+ outstanding problems with his
 software I would think that they would if they were given positive
 feedback from other existing clients who felt that the vendor cared .

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.