[comp.databases] Multilingual databases

craig@unify.uucp (Craig Isaacs) (04/07/90)

In article <9317@wiley.UUCP> rudoff@mdi.com writes:
>I'm working on a product that will be used in many countries with
>different languages. There are important things to take in account
>when dealing with languages other than English.
>
>What character set to use......
>
>The collation sequence of the characters......
>
>There is a POSIX standard for internationalization and part of the
>standard defines the collation sequence of the language being used. If
>I could find a database that followed that guideline it would be
>great. Does anyone know of one?

As far as I know, Unify Corporation is the first to supply an X/OPEN
compliant "localized" language version of a 4GL and RDBMS.

Our software (per X/OPEN specifications) supports 8-bit characters and
user-defined collating sequences, as well as externalized message
files.

>I am working on a DECstations 3100 running Ultrix. Currently Informix
>is being used and as far as I'm concerned it's almost worthless (but
>my previous DB experience has been with Sybase, so maybe I'm spoiled).
>Supposedly, DEC will be integrating Ingres with Ultrix soon; does
>anyone know if that implementation of Ingres will take advantage of
>the internationalization libraries already present in Ultrix?

I do not know if Ingres does/will support the X/OPEN standards; however,
if Informix supports 8-bit characters, one of the next ACCELL/SQL
for Informix releases will allow for input and display of 8-bit
characters to and from the Informix RDBMS.

>Douglas Rudoff
>Mobile Data International
>Bothell, WA
>uunet!mdisea!rudoff, rudoff@mdi.com
>(206) 487-5937

Good luck!

Craig

Craig Isaacs                                      internet: craig@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation                           ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!craig

anderson@well.sf.ca.us (David E. Anderson) (04/09/90)

In article <xr36rq5@unify.uucp> craig@unify.UUCP (Craig Isaacs) writes:
>In article <9317@wiley.UUCP> rudoff@mdi.com writes:
>>I'm working on a product that will be used in many countries with
>>different languages. There are important things to take in account
>>when dealing with languages other than English.
>>
>>What character set to use......
>>
>>The collation sequence of the characters......
>>
>--
[Unify info deleted...]

>Craig Isaacs                                      internet: craig@unify.UUCP
>Unify Corporation                           ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!craig

Oracle V6 provides National Language Support, which effects error
messages, the character set sorting sequence and some aspects of dates,
which vary from country to country.  Appendix F of the Oracle V6 Database
Administrator's Guide describes NLS.   I think this is what you are looking
for.

For example, start up an instance with LANGUAGE=FRENCH and NLS_SORT=TRUE,
then see messages such as ORA-00942: table ou vue n'existe pas...

David E. Anderson
independent database consultant
formerly with Oracle US kernel support group