[comp.databases] Honesty/ Problems With Informix Turbo Engine

bbh@whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) (04/07/90)

In article <261A3974.25FC@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
<If a bug is big enough to be reported, it's not too small to fix.
<I support Deliver better than that, and I'm not even paid for it.
<And I'm certainly glad that Larry Wall never says "too small to fix".

Like many companies that suffer from too-early success, Informix disregards
the needs of the customer as a primary issue. If the software actually works
as advertised, that's nice, and if it does not - tough. You will have to wait
until the next release (whenever that may be) - no individual fixes are
issued, no matter how egregious the snafu - unless their policy has recently
changed, which I sincerely doubt.

The market will eventually correct this problem, if management does not.

I was told that you can request a list of *some* of the known bugs, but that
it will *not* include them all. [At least this may limit the frequency with
which you may find yourself spending hours trying to make something work only
to find out that it never *did* work as described in the manual.]

BTW, if you report a bug to Informix and they tell you that it is already
in the pipeline for a fix, ask for a bug-number (or whatever they call it)
evidencing that it is *actually* in the system. Else shame on you. :-)

                                 Bud
UUCP: ...{tektronix|sun}!nosun!whizz!bbh ...bbh%whizz@nosun.West.Sun.Com
MOTD: "Follow your bliss" - Joseph Campbell

segel@tellab5.tellabs.com (Mike Segel) (04/10/90)

In article <3801@infmx.UUCP> davek@infmx.UUCP (David Kosenko) writes:

Gee Dave, I thought I posted a disclaimer on the top of my posting ... :-)

	Now Dave, are you going to tell me that Informix does not use
a form of cost analysis to decide what bugs to fix and when?

Or that if a bug has a known work around, that it will drop in priority to
a bug which does not ? (Depending on the severity of the bug)

I could go on Dave, but I won't. The point is that ALL Software Companies
have to provide some method of cost analysis when supporting the product.
No company has a fault free method of doing so. Informix does have its faults
However one should not go product bashing in the interim.

>Dave Kosenko
>Informix Professional Services
>
>--
>Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed herein | There's more than one answer
>are by no means those of Informix Software | to these questions pointing me
>(though they make you wonder about the     | in a crooked line...
> strange people they hire).                |

-Mike Segel