[comp.databases] Informix, Databases and Problems with bugs

hovanes@ingr.com (Kenneth Hovanes 7938) (04/09/90)

Working from a support standpoint I can see all of the points being made,
both those of the user and the developer.  Offically I support all of the
Informix products sold by Intergraph, including those in beta-testing and
pre-certification.

Currently we are porting the newest offering from Informix,  Online  and
the all the associated products (ESQL/C, 4GL, ESQL/Ada, STAR, NET and a
couple of others) and these products are of quite good quality.  In the
process of working with the porters I have seen a very concentrated effort
on the part of Informix to support and address all relevant issues.  These
issues include those of Bug fixes and the like.

From the side of the users, I agree a bug list would be nice to have (I do
have one), but not necessary.  Dbase IV is a database product and a very
popular one at that, but they do not make it company policy to let everyone
who requests it, see a bug list.  Noone in their right mind who intends to
sell software would open themselves up like that.

Granted there are a lot of problems with the .03K release of the Turbo
engine, but hopefully most of these problems will be solved in the 4.0
release of Online.  I for one can say the Online product is much more
comprehensive and does indeed fix a lot of outstanding bugs.

Just remember...

You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people
some of the time, but in the software industry products are constantly
changing, and everyone complains.

And no, you cannot have a copy of the list.

 Kenneth Hovanes,              Intergraph Corporation
 Informix Support              One Madison Industrial Park
                               Huntsville, AL       35894-0001
    uunet   ...ingr!hovanes
      or    ...ingr!b17d!stinky!hovanes

kjj@varese.UUCP (Kevin Johnson) (04/11/90)

In article <9662@ingr.com> hovanes@ingr.com (Kenneth Hovanes 7938) writes:
>From the side of the users, I agree a bug list would be nice to have (I do
>have one), but not necessary.  Dbase IV is a database product and a very
>popular one at that, but they do not make it company policy to let everyone
>who requests it, see a bug list.  Noone in their right mind who intends to
>sell software would open themselves up like that.

You have got to be kidding!
Little Johnny does it so it's ok for you to do it, right?
I suppose pleased repeat customers are 'nice', but not necessary...

>Granted there are a lot of problems with the .03K release of the Turbo
>engine, but hopefully most of these problems will be solved in the 4.0
>release of Online.  I for one can say the Online product is much more
>comprehensive and does indeed fix a lot of outstanding bugs.

Ya, And the salesman my boss talked to told him that Turbo would solve
alot of the problems we were having with the older product.
Come on, computer companies have been using that excuse for too long.
Besides, the issue in this thread is not whether the bugs are being fixed,
but whether I'm made privy to the list of bugs so I can use the product more
effectively - therefore be more tempted to buy the newer product offerings.

>Just remember...
>You can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people
>some of the time, but in the software industry products are constantly
>changing, and everyone complains.

Just remember...
A poor excuse is better than none.

#include <standard_disclaimer>
| Kevin Johnson                                      ...!mcdphx!QIS1!kjj      |
| QIS System Administrator  Motorola MCD             kjj@phx.mcd.mot.com      |