[comp.databases] Novice Needs Advice

mazur@inmet.inmet.com (04/09/90)

Please accept my apologies if this is akin to the Mrs. Fields postings
in rec.cooking, but I'm interested in free advice...

I'm at the preliminary design stage of a customized inventory program for
a caterer I do work for.  I'm a bit overwhelmed about all the choices I
seem to have and am trying to narrow things down a bit.  The program as
I visualize it will be primarily search and query by the user and I want
it to be idiot-proof - these are computer-illiterate users.  I hope to
make it look like an ATM (i.e., no mice, nothing fancy, just menu-driven
screens with on-line help).

I haven't ruled out the idea of selling it to other caterers so I'd rather
have that option (and not have to have them buy a dBASE III, etc.).  So
my questions:

    -  Is there any reason to consider a MAC if I don't want a mouse?

    -  Given my simple database scheme (screens, search & query), what
       database program would you recommend?  (my friend thinks we could
       do it in C, but I'd think that's a bit like re-inventing the
       wheel).

    -  Any other comments, suggestions?  This is something I'm doing in
       my spare time, not for "real work", but I'd like to do it right
       the first time.

Thanks in advance,
Beth Mazur
mazur@inmet.inmet.com

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (04/11/90)

     My personal view for a relational DB is FilePro from Small Comp. Co.
     Runs on DOS, and most Unix machines.

     Ive used Unify, Progress, DB3, Informix, and most other majors, and find
FilePro eats them all.  You can start simple a progress to complicated
relational models as you learn.

    Its is not the cheapest DB but you pay for what you get.  Sometimes you
even get what you paid for as with FilePro.

   I am not associated in any way with Small Computer Company.
   These are personal views only and not open for personal flames.

Rick Furniss

Standard Disclaimer.........

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (04/11/90)

In article <19500001@inmet>, mazur@inmet.inmet.com writes:
> I'm at the preliminary design stage of a customized inventory program for
> a caterer I do work for.  I'm a bit overwhelmed about all the choices I
> seem to have and am trying to narrow things down a bit.  The program as
> I visualize it will be primarily search and query by the user and I want
> it to be idiot-proof - these are computer-illiterate users.  I hope to
> make it look like an ATM (i.e., no mice, nothing fancy, just menu-driven
> screens with on-line help).

From the database point of view, "simple" means that the table of data
you require does not itself require other tables.  For example, a table
of work orders might have an entry for "Client name" which would be a
reference to a separate table of client's names, addresses and phone
numbers.  Inventory systems often need more than one table--this is
called 'relational' as opposed to 'flat file'.

> I haven't ruled out the idea of selling it to other caterers so I'd rather
> have that option (and not have to have them buy a dBASE III, etc.).

Most systems, such as dBASE III, have runtime options by which you can
distribute your software without having your end users purchase the
development system.

> So my questions:
>
>     -  Is there any reason to consider a MAC if I don't want a mouse?

Macintoshes are more friendly for novice users.  ATMs are a rather
klunky user-interface model (as an aside, I had a long talk recently
with software developers at a major bank which is developing ATM
capabilities based on touch-screen Mac II's).  You're right to leverage
your user's existing knowledge of ATMs, but Macs take advantage of
leverage as well because each application on a Mac uses the same
interface.  Also, Macs were designed to be "Information Appliances,"
and a kitchen counter was considered the likely home for the Mac
that Jef Raskin designed, but I digress.  The point is, it's self-
contained.

However, I wouldn't have mentioned Macs if you hadn't--go with what
you're comfortable with.

>     -  Given my simple database scheme (screens, search & query), what
>        database program would you recommend?  (my friend thinks we could
>        do it in C, but I'd think that's a bit like re-inventing the
>        wheel).

You're right; don't write it in C if you can help it.  A higher-level
language will get a prototype working faster and will be much easier
to change.  If you sell this to other caterers, you'll probably sell
them version 2 or 3 after your current client works the bugs out.

You probably need multiple-file capability, so I'd recommend dBASE III PLUS.
dBASE IV is probably over-kill, and there's more third-party support just
now for III+ in terms of compilers and development tools.  Of course,
dBASE IV's integrated application generator would get you off to a fast
start.  (I try to be unbiased, generally, but here your question was
too vague--try asking me specifically about one of our competitors and
I'll be more fair :-).

>     -  Any other comments, suggestions?  This is something I'm doing in
>        my spare time, not for "real work", but I'd like to do it right
>        the first time.

This task could be done in dozens of different environments.  I'd say
prototype something in whatever is at hand before you go out and buy
hardware or software.  If you're without either, buy a Compaq 386
and dBASE IV.  Trust me.  But if you've got something now, like BASIC,
like Lotus 1-2-3, like Turbo Pascal--use that and see how far you get.
Systems like this are a lot smoother the second time around, once you
know the totality of what you're getting into.

> Thanks in advance,
> Beth Mazur
> mazur@inmet.inmet.com

Good luck!

/alastair/

Disclaimer> I'm speaking just for me, even when I sound like such a
cheerleader.