[comp.databases] Emerald Bay and surfaces

francois@welch.jhu.edu (Francois Schiettecatte) (04/08/90)

Hal Smith writes below
----------------

>From: Hal Smith at Sound Advice, NorthAmerinet & CRS USENET Gateway

Jeroen Schipper jschippe@praxis.cs.ruu.nl writes

JS}I'm still waiting for a compiler to make .EXE files from dBase IV
JS}or FoxPro .PRG files (PC). Ashton Tate promised it a long time ago,
JS}but I still haven't heard anything. Is there someone who could give
JS}me some information about when, where and who.

Jeroen,
  Take a serious look at Vulcan 2 and Emerald Bay from Ratliff
Software Productions, Inc. Good distributed data base engine with
surfaces (Vulcan is dbase like) to talk to the engine. Vulcan also
produces .EXE file.
  All the neat stuff like transaction commit/abort, logging,
permissions down to the field level, locking, and so forth are in
there. They also have a good database administration function, report
writer and file translation package. Data typing is much more robust
than Fox or Clipper. Initial indexing at when you import the dataset
is not as fast as Fox, maybe not as fast as Clipper, but I have not
had a corrupted index, (yet, knock on wood).
  Also has C, Pascal and Lotus surfaces, and forms design utility.
Good stuff.

-Hal
---
 ~ EZ 1.27 #113 ~ Wanted: FoxPro Surface for Emerald Bay!
 ~ QNet 2.04: NorthAmeriNet: Sound Advice BBS ~ Gladstone ~ MO

------------------------------

My answer:

Hal,

When I was working for Migent in the UK, I worked on a Clipper surface for
Emerald bay. Actually Clipper has a very nice extend system which allows
the inclusion of C libraries really easily ( it took me about 2 weeks to
produce the interface, about 3000 lines of C code, including doc ). I then
looked into doing the same thing for Fox, but at the time they did not
support easy C interfacing ( maybe now things are not the same but I
just dont know ).  The interface itself consists of a bunch of functions
under Clipper which pass and return parameteres to various emerald
bay C library calls. ( here I plug EB a bit ) I found that Emerald
bay was a very nice system to work with and I also found ( doing
bench marks for Migent ) that the Emerald bay database engine was faster
that the Clipper engine ( except for inserts ). I would be willing to
pass on this library ( plus source - it's built for Microsoft C but
conversion over to Turbo C should not be difficult - after all C is
portable, right ? ) if there is some interest. I will not be able to
get my hands on it for about 3 weeks, so you will have to wait for
a while. I think that Jordan Brown had a look at it after I passed it
onto migent, but I'm not sure ( I know he had a look at a competing
product which never made it - from planet software I think ).

Francois

jbrown@herron.uucp (Jordan Brown) (04/11/90)

francois@welch.jhu.edu (Francois Schiettecatte) writes:
> I think that Jordan Brown had a look at it [a library for using
> EB from Clipper] after I passed it onto migent, but I'm not
> sure ( I know he had a look at a competing product which never
> made it - from planet software I think ).

Actually, I've never seen any of the EB-Clipper products.  There
are three implementations that I know of...

Yours.
Bill French's (Global Technologies).
BabelFish Libraries by SuccessWare.

I happen to have a flyer for the BabelFish libraries here; neither of
the others have become commercial products as far as I know.
The flyer doesn't have many details, but is does mention plans
to do Fox-EB and Clipper-SQL libraries.  It mentions an introductory
price of $99 and the phone number is 714-699-9657.

I don't have any real contact with the SuccessWare folks; they are nice
people and have called to ask questions a few times, but I don't know
much about their products.  This flyer isn't recent - I think I got it
at the last November COMDEX - so call for info.
--
Jordan Brown
jbrown@jato.jpl.nasa.gov