[comp.databases] Benchmark between dBASE & Oracle!

mao@eden (Mike Olson) (04/07/90)

oracle does not permit customers to release benchmark information on its
products.  perhaps oracle's marketing department can supply you with
performance numbers.
					mike olson
					postgres research group
					uc berkeley
					mao@postgres.berkeley.edu

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) (04/07/90)

> perhaps oracle's marketing department can supply you with performance numbers.

What?  No smiley?

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"How in the world did Vicks ever get Nyquil past the DEA?" - me

dveditz@dbase.A-T.COM (Dan Veditz) (04/10/90)

ravi@pds3 (Gorur R. Ravi) writes:
>We are considering developing our dBASE apllications in Oracle (V 6)
>on Prime (386) running Unix Sys V. I need to have some benchmarking
>information before we take this decision.
>	Does anyone out there have some benchmarking information
>on the performance of an application running in dBASE on DOS and the same
>running in Oracle on Unix (Preferably on a 386 machine)?

The Oracle license agreement does not allow buyers of the product to
publish benchmark figures.  It ticks-off *our* marketing department!

-Dan Veditz      dveditz@dbase.A-T.com
                 { uunet | ncar!cepu }!ashtate!dveditz

tgreenla@oracle.uucp (Terry Greenlaw) (04/10/90)

In article <509@dbase.A-T.COM> dveditz@dbase.A-T.com (Dan Veditz) writes:
>ravi@pds3 (Gorur R. Ravi) writes:
>>We are considering developing our dBASE apllications in Oracle (V 6)
>>on Prime (386) running Unix Sys V. I need to have some benchmarking
>>information before we take this decision.
>>	Does anyone out there have some benchmarking information
>>on the performance of an application running in dBASE on DOS and the same
>>running in Oracle on Unix (Preferably on a 386 machine)?
>
>The Oracle license agreement does not allow buyers of the product to
>publish benchmark figures.  It ticks-off *our* marketing department!
>
>-Dan Veditz      dveditz@dbase.A-T.com
>                 { uunet | ncar!cepu }!ashtate!dveditz

               THIS IS A PERSONAL OBSERVATION AND SHOULD IN NO
               WAY BE INTERPRETED AS A STATEMENT OF MY COMPANY             CYA

Butt protecting personal disclaimers aside, of course Oracle wouldn't want
competitors publishing benchmark results. The benchmark results we publish
are all validated by independant firms that are a lot more likely to give
honest answers than our competetors.

I'm sure Oracle marketing will be glad to provide you with all the benchmarking
numbers you would ever want, as would Ashton-Tate. I'm sure that Ashton-Tate
wouldn't want us publishing our dBase benchmarking results either. Have you
ever seen an ad where the company that paid for the ad underperforms the
competition. "Hey, our new Grommotz 5000 gets 625 miles to the gallon of
ordinary tap water (in small print "when launched from an orbiting space
station"). Of course, your mileage may vary." ;-)

As far as the benchmark you mentioned goes, I'm not sure what kind of numbers
you would get comparing a DOS database to one on unix. The numbers for
Oracle for MS/DOS against dBase and Oracle for SYSV against dBase for SYSV (?)
may be better comparisons.

IMHO, the only true useful benchmark is the your application after you've
written it.

See CYA header above.

Terry O. Greenlaw             Sheathed within the Walkman,
Staff Engineer                Wear a halo of distortion.
Oracle Corporation            Aural contraceptive,
tgreenla@oracle.oracle.com    Aborting pregnant conversation - Marillion

awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr6.194145.2101@pds3>, ravi@pds3 (Gorur R. Ravi) writes:
> Gorur R. Ravi)
> 	Does anyone out there have some benchmarking information
> on the performance of an application running in dBASE on DOS and the same
> running in Oracle on Unix (Preferably on a 386 machine)?

I understand that part of the Oracle license restricts its users from
publishing any benchmark or timing information whatsoever.  I've also
heard from third parties, unofficially, that it's a dog.  There, I said
it.  Flame away--I've never even seen Oracle running.

/alastair/

Big Disclaimer> I am emphatically _not_ speaking for Ashton-Tate this time.

moiram@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Moira Mallison) (04/13/90)

In article <1990Apr10.143336.2803@oracle.com> tgreenla@oracle.UUCP (Terry Greenlaw) writes:
>Butt protecting personal disclaimers aside, of course Oracle wouldn't want
>competitors publishing benchmark results. The benchmark results we publish
>are all validated by independant firms that are a lot more likely to give
>honest answers than our competetors.
>
>I'm sure Oracle marketing will be glad to provide you with all the
>benchmarking numbers you would ever want....

I would trust numbers that come from a vendor's marketing department
about as much as you trust numbers coming from a competitor.

As I understand the restriction regarding publishing of benchmark
results, it is not limited to competitive vendors.  It also extends
to independant companies that may want to implement benchmarks
in more than one DBMS, and report the results.

I've done some benchmarking research work, and the number of variables
to control in order to get any meaningful results are greater than
one might imagine.  Working in a tightly knit team with frequent
communication about the implementations, it still took multiple
walk-throughs of the code to insure that the implementations were
identical (ie that the benchmark operations were indeed measuring
the same database actions).  You just aren't going to get that
kind of consistency measuring Ashton-Tate's marketing numbers
against Oracle's marketing numbers.

Certainly your application is the best measure there is of the
performance you can expect, but who has time to implement an
application multiple times?

Moira Mallison
Tektronix, Inc.

wallis@labc.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) (04/13/90)

In article <231@arkham.enet.dec.com>, may@28182.dec.com (Patrick May) writes...
!>
!>In article <514@dbase.A-T.COM>, awd@dbase.A-T.COM (Alastair Dallas) writes...
!>>publishing any benchmark or timing information whatsoever.  I've also
!>>heard from third parties, unofficially, that it's a dog.  There, I said
!>>it.  Flame away--I've never even seen Oracle running.
!>>
!>>/alastair/
!>>
!>>Big Disclaimer> I am emphatically _not_ speaking for Ashton-Tate this time.
!>
!>I've worked with the Oracle DBMS for a little over three years, doing design
!>and development under MS-DOS, VMS, and Unix (SunOS), and I disagree.  Speed
!>has never been a serious problem when the database was well architected
!>(although I've sometimes had to play around with clustering and indexes)
!>and the tool set is powerful and allows for rapid development.  It runs on
!>nearly any platform and both code and data are extremely easy to port.  The
!>biggest drawback is the price.
!>
!>I've heard that Sybase is even better for development (and speed in some
!>applications) but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of that system.
!>
!>------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yo Patrick, have you used Oracle in an update intensive application on an SMP
machine or in a cluster. The single write server architecture is definitely a
drawback in that situation. I've seen known of Oracle lose benchmarks in that
situation.
---
Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis@labc.dec.com
Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
Los Angeles, CA			"I represent myself not Digital Equipment Corp."
---