[comp.databases] Parallelizing RDBMS Architectures

sweiger@sequent.UUCP (Mark Sweiger) (04/13/90)

In article <1531@mountn.dec.com> wallis@labc.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) writes:

>Yo Patrick, have you used Oracle in an update intensive application on an SMP
>machine or in a cluster. The single write server architecture is definitely a
>drawback in that situation. I've seen known of Oracle lose benchmarks in that
>situation.

The above is not correct.  Version 6 of Oracle allows multiple asychronous
page cleaner processes on symmetric multiprocessors like a Sequent or
a Pyramid, which eliminates the problem stated above.  In general, more
is better in symmetric multiprocessing, and this certainly applies
to the RDBMS process architecture.  Anywhere there is one of anything
is a potential bottleneck.  Products which allow multiple client
processes, multiple server processes, and multiple asynchronous daemon
processes tend to perform well on SMPs.  For example, we have
seen TP1 benchmark results vary from 20 to 200+ TPS on identical Sequent
configurations, the only variant being whether the tested RDBMS
product permitted only one server process (low TPS), vs. products which
allowed multiple server processes (high TPS).  If you only have one
server process, you can only effectively use one of the many available
CPUs to perform server-side functions, which constrains throughput.

All of the Big 5 RDMBS vendors (Oracle, Informix, Sybase, Ingres, and
Unify) have or will soon have unconstrained multiple process architectures
for SMP machines, diminishing differences in performance caused
by process-level bottlenecks.  The next, and perhaps more interesting,
SMP performance battles will be fought by parallelizing intra-
process algorithms (parallel scan, parallel join, parallel execution
of query subtrees, parallel sort, etc.).  The net performance gain
in this area can be even more pronounced; prototypes have
shown 100 to 1 or better gains in certain query execution times.
It is interesting to note that process-level and
algorithmic parallelization of RDBMS architectures has shown
impressive performance gains on Cube-like hardware architectures
and cluster hardware architectures, not just SMPs.  It is a powerful
concept.
Mark Sweiger			Sequent Computer Systems
Database Software Engineer	15450 SW Koll Parkway
				Beaverton, Oregon  97006-6063
(503)526-4329			...{tektronix,ogcvax}!sequent!sweiger