[comp.databases] Geographic/Mapping data formats

tshaffer@ADS.COM (Tom Shaffer) (05/25/90)

In article <23312@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU> suppe@banana.cis.ufl.edu () writes:
>Does anyone know of a 'standard' data format for geographic and mapping
>databases?
>
>I have heard of ARC/INFO format.
>
>   What exactly is it?
>   Are there any books on the subject?
>   Does anyone have some sample databases?
>   Is there a government agency who produces this data?
>

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Dennis.
>--
>--
>Dennis Suppe                            University of Florida
>suppe@beach.cis.ufl.edu                 CSE Room 340
>(904) 392-1485                          Gainesville, Florida

The Defense Mapping Agency (DMA) and the USGS produce numerous terrain
data bases.  Associated with each of these data bases is a formatting
standard.  The format specifications are easily obtained from DMA and
the USGS.  Concerning obtaining the data bases however, the USGS data
bases are a little easier to obtain.  The following is a list of some
of DMA's data bases:

   Existing Data Bases/Products
 ** Digital Feature Analysis Data (DFAD) - at various resolutions
      Vector data base of features such as roads, rivers, forests, etc.
 ** Digital Terrain Elevation Data (DTED) - at various resolutions
      2-D grid of elevation points
      Level I = 3 arcseconds resolution (100 meters)
      Level II = 1 arcsecond resolution (30meters)
    Automated Air Facilities Information File (AAFIF)
    Digital Aeronautical Flight Information File (DAFIF)
    Digital Elevation Data for FIREFINDER
 ** World Vector Shoreline (WVS)
    High Speed Digital Chart (HSDC)
    Terrain Contour Matching (TERCOM) Data Base
    Digital Landmass Blanking (DLMB) Data
 ** Digital Bathymetric Data Base (DBDB)
    Vertical Obstruction Data (VOD)
 ** Bathymetric Data Base (BDB) Data
    Navigation Information Network (NAVINFONET)
    World Mean Elevation Data (WMED)
    Local Slope Data (LSD)

  Prototype Products
 ** Tactical Terrain Data <==== THE MAIN TERRAIN DB FOR THE FUTURE!!!!!
 ** Interim Terrain Data  <==== The prototype for TTD!!
    Digital Point Positioning Data Base (DPPDB)
    :
    :  and many others
    :

The most popular DBs are DTED for elevation information and DFAD for
feature information.  They are currently producting ITD which is a super
set of DFAD - coverage is limited.

DMA puts out a book called "Defense Mapping Agency - Digitizing the Future".
It is FREE, they even have an 800 number to order it - (800) 826-0342.
The stock number for the book is "DMA Stock No. DDIPDIGITALPAC" 2nd Ed.

My list of USGS data bases is buried somewhere.  You can request a list
of their data bases from the USGS in Menlo Park, CA.  If you really need
it, send me mail, and I'll dig it up.

ARC/INFO is a GIS system produced and sold by Environmental Systems
Research Institue, Inc. (ESRI).  Their address is: 380 New York St.
Redlands, CA 92373.  In my opinion, it's the best GIS on the market -
we have a copy.  They have a specific format for their data files, but
I don't know what it is.  Give'm a call - I could use the info too.
Let me know what you find out if you call them.

I'd be interested in hearing what other people are doing with terrain
data bases - email:  tshaffer@ads.com.

			-- Tom Shaffer --