[comp.databases] ANSI contact.

gordon@mead.UUCP (Gordon Edwards) (05/31/90)

I am sorry to have to repost this, but MDC suffered a mail outage and I am not
sure what I lost.
--
Does anyone know how to get a copy of the latest ANSI SQL draft?  Also, if
anyone knows how to get in touch with ANSI directly (i.e. e-mail, address,

Thanks in advance.
--
Gordon Edwards                                   Mead Data Central
                                                 PO Box 933, Dayton, Ohio 45401

      INTERNET:  mead!gordon@uccba.uc.edu    UUCP:  ...!uccba!mead!gordon

miket@blia.BLI.COM (Mike Tossy) (06/05/90)

In article <745@meaddata.mead.UUCP>, gordon@mead.UUCP (Gordon Edwards) writes:
> I am sorry to have to repost this, but MDC suffered a mail outage and I am not
> sure what I lost.
> --
> Does anyone know how to get a copy of the latest ANSI SQL draft?  Also, if
> anyone knows how to get in touch with ANSI directly (i.e. e-mail, address,
> phone#), I would greatly appreciate the information.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> --
> Gordon Edwards                           Mead Data Central
>                                          PO Box 933, Dayton, Ohio 45401
>
>       INTERNET:  mead!gordon@uccba.uc.edu    UUCP:  ...!uccba!mead!gordon

A copy of the current version is available from:

   ANSI Sales Dept.
   1430 Broadway
   New York, NY  10018

Enclose a check for $45 ($40 for paper + $5 Shipping and handling) and ask
for the "X3.135/1989 Database Language - SQL with Integrity Enhancement" report.

Of related interest:

The U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) maintains a
validation test suite to test adherence to the ANSI standard.  ShareBase is
the ONLY company to have passed the NIST test suite.  (Passing the test suite
gives you some confidence that someone other than the vendor's marketing
department thinks that their SQL is indeed ANSI conforming.)

Without true ASNI standard implementations of SQL much of the
promised advantages of open systems and transportability will not be achieved.
For more information on the SQL validation tests and the certification process,
contact:

   Director
   National Computer and Telecommunications Laboratory
   ATTN:  Software Standards Testing Program
   National Institute of STandards and Technology
   Gaithersburg, MD  20899

   (301) 975-3258

  Michael Tossy                              This is, as my boss keeps
  ShareBase Corporation                      pointing out, only my opinion.
  Los Gatos, California