[comp.databases] UNIX databases on AS/400

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (05/28/90)

johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl/104857600) writes:

>the IBM AS/400 midrange system

The AS/400 is only a "midrange system" in IBM's marketing hype.  To
the rest of us it's just the AS/400.  If it needs futher adjectives
"incompatible" and "underpowered" spring to mind.

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Drop in next time you're in the tri-planet area!

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (06/01/90)

In article <jkrueger.643847947@dgis.dtic.dla.mil> jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) writes:
>johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl/104857600) writes:
>
>>the IBM AS/400 midrange system
>
>The AS/400 is only a "midrange system" in IBM's marketing hype.  To
>the rest of us it's just the AS/400.  If it needs futher adjectives
>"incompatible" and "underpowered" spring to mind.

But it does seem to be selling rather well for an underpowered
incompatible box thats why Cognos has ported Powerhouse to it .
In fact a senior As/400 marketing member who now works for
us gave a presentation of the shear number of boxes they are
shipping .. pretty impressive and lucrative .

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (06/07/90)

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) writes:

>In fact a senior As/400 marketing member [sic] who now works for
>us gave a presentation of the shear [sic] number of boxes they are
>shipping .. pretty impressive and lucrative .

Let me get this straight.  An ex-IBM salesman made a sales claim and
you believed him.  Where did you say you worked?

-- Jon