[comp.databases] Database Shadowing Tool - Help Request

deepak@hpindda.HP.COM (Deepak Sabnis) (06/06/90)

I am looking for any commercially available "Database Shadowing" tool
for any database system running on UNIX platforms. The idea is that if
a system went down, I should be able to querry a copy of the database
on some other system (which was kept in sync with the original database
by this tool). Any help or pointer to products greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Deepak S. Sabnis   ...!hplabs!hpda!deepak

markj@infmx.UUCP (Mark Jeske) (06/06/90)

In article <3520014@hpindda.HP.COM> deepak@hpindda.HP.COM (Deepak Sabnis) writes:
>I am looking for any commercially available "Database Shadowing" tool
>for any database system running on UNIX platforms. The idea is that if
>a system went down, I should be able to querry a copy of the database
>on some other system (which was kept in sync with the original database
>by this tool). Any help or pointer to products greatly appreciated.

I'm currently on a project using pyramids where the disk drives are
mirrored to a second set of drives that are dual ported to another
pyramid machine.  If the first pyramid fails the mirroed disks are
switched to the second machine using the dual port hardware (just flipping
a switch).  The second machine is brought up and continues right
where the first left off.  Our software of course is loaded on both
machines and configured identically.  The disk mirroring is at the
hardware level provided by pyramid, and noth through our software.

Pretty slick!  E-mail me if you want more info.

Mark Jeske
Informix Software
markj@infmx.com
708-699-5850

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (06/11/90)

Interbase version 3 (Interbase Corp) / Starbase version 3.0 (Cognos Inc)
running on Ultrix,Hp-Ux,Sun and Apollo includes database shadowing as
a fast recovery option vs long term journalling . --
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.
uucp: nigelc@cognos.uucp || uunet!mitel!sce!cognos!nigelc    Ottawa, Ontario
                                                             CANADA  K1G 3Z4