[comp.databases] Rdb runtime license bundled with VMS

pan@prowest.propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) (06/14/90)

In article <2242@nems.dt.navy.mil>, bpeters@dtrc.dt.navy.mil (Peters) writes:
> DEC might bundle RDB w/VMS, but it is only the runtime executable which
> allows you to run on more than one node.  If you want the real thing,
> you must purchase the layered product itself.  We just found out ourselves.
> We were interested in trying it out, but alas, found it no-workie.  So,
> as always,   nothing is really free..............
>
> 		      Brenda Peters
> 		      DTRC
> 		      Bethesda, MD

I'm not sure what Brenda was *trying* to say here, but let me correct a few
misimpressions she may have left.

1.  The run-time Rdb (which is what DEC licenses now with every VMS license) is
in fact *all* of what you need to run any Rdb application.  It *is* "the real
thing".  Period.

2.  Re: "no-workie" - I don't know what you mean, but the run-time Rdb works
just fine, thank you.  I have clients that run applications using it.

3.  The run-time license works just fine "on more than one node" - i.e., it has
the same (fairly robust) distributed capability of the rest of Rdb.

4.  What you *don't* get with the runtime version is - funny thing - the
development tools:  You can't compile code with imbedded Rdb calls (i.e., you
don't have the precompilers), you can't build databases (you don't have the
data definition part of the data management tools).

5.  However, the development licenses are rediculously cheap when you buy them
for a development environment - i.e., a workstation or microVAXes.  For
example, they are bundled in with some other development licenses, such as the
portfolio license (which gives you *every* language and development tool that
DEC sells for a flat rate of $250 or so per month).  When you realize this, it
is hard to see why you would *want* to buy a development license for a large
VAX or VAXcluster.

Philip A. Naecker                Consulting Software Engineer
Internet: pan@propress.com       1010 East Union Street, Suite 101
          uunet!prowest!pan      Pasadena, CA  91106-1756
Voice:    +1 818 577 4820        FAX: +1 818 577 0073

Also:     Technology Editor, DEC Professional Magazine
          VAX Professional Magazine Review Board Member