[comp.databases] Dataase for VMS and UNIX - No royalties and source avail.

jim@talarian.UUCP (Jim Schmidt) (06/06/90)

Other than Raima's DB_Vista does anyone know of other databases/file handlers
which run on VMS and Unix, charge no royalties, and source is available at
a reasonable cost? Please indicate if their is an SQL interface available and
whether there are any Form generation packages which go with it.
Thanks in advance.

ssdken@watson.claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) (06/07/90)

 Unix:

  Take a look at University Ingres for Unix.  I don't think it is portable
  to VMS.  It doesn't have an SQL interface instead it has a QUEL interface
  which offers the same capability (from command line and C).

 VMS:
   Doesn't DEC ship RDB with all VMS systems?  It has an SQL interface
from a command
   line and from C.  I believe it is free, somebody correct me if I am wrong.

				Ken Nelson

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (06/11/90)

I think that you will find that Dec bundled run-time rdb/vms
as of VMS Version 5.x

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.

dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) (06/12/90)

In article <7423@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ssdken@watson.claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) writes:

> Unix:
>
>  Take a look at University Ingres for Unix.  I don't think it is portable
>  to VMS.  It doesn't have an SQL interface instead it has a QUEL interface
>  which offers the same capability (from command line and C).
>
> VMS:
>   Doesn't DEC ship RDB with all VMS systems?  It has an SQL interface
>from a command
>   line and from C.  I believe it is free, somebody correct me if I am wrong.
                                      ^^^^

FREE???  From DEC???  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

It may be BUNDLED, but you can bet it ain't FREE!!

--
David Harrington                                      internet: dgh@unify.UUCP
Unify Corporation                               ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!dgh

devine@shodha.dec.com (Bob Devine) (06/13/90)

In article <sp249fx@unify.uucp>, dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) writes:
> > VMS:
> >  Doesn't DEC ship RDB with all VMS systems?  It has an SQL interface
> >  from a command
> >  line and from C.  I believe it is free, somebody correct me if I am wrong.
>
> FREE???  From DEC???  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
> It may be BUNDLED, but you can bet it ain't FREE!!

  You lost the bet.

  The run-time portion of Rdb is free with VMS.  However, to do
development you will need to buy the development kit for at least
one node.

carrato@mhinfo.UUCP ( tony carrato) (06/14/90)

In article <sp249fx@unify.uucp> dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) writes:
>In article <7423@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> ssdken@watson.claremont.EDU (Ken Nelson) writes:
>>
>> VMS:
>>   Doesn't DEC ship RDB with all VMS systems?  It has an SQL interface
>>from a command
>>   line and from C.  I believe it is free, somebody correct me if I am wrong.
>
>FREE???  From DEC???  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
>
>It may be BUNDLED, but you can bet it ain't FREE!!
Actually, the RUN TIME part of RDB is essentially free.  What you have to
pay for is the media (tape) and documentation.  Those certainly aren't
free but they aren't terribly expensive.  If you get a trial of Smartstar
I believe you actually can get them free.  Smartstar is a reasonably smart
query interface to RDB.  It can also create databases and do other usual
things.  (I've got no connection with Smartstar except as a user.)

Tony Carrato
uunet!mhinfo!carrato

dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) (06/15/90)

In article <1351@shodha.dec.com> devine@shodha.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
>In article <sp249fx@unify.uucp>, dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) writes:
>> > VMS:
>> >  Doesn't DEC ship RDB with all VMS systems?  It has an SQL interface
>> >  from a command
>> >  line and from C.  I believe it is free, somebody correct me if I am wrong.
>>
>> FREE???  From DEC???  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
>> It may be BUNDLED, but you can bet it ain't FREE!!
>
>  You lost the bet.
>
>  The run-time portion of Rdb is free with VMS.  However, to do
>development you will need to buy the development kit for at least
>one node.

I'd still like to see your price lists, as in pre-RDB VMS and post-RDB VMS.  My
experience with DEC is that you pay for everything.  And I don't think that is
wrong at all.  It just gets tedious, e.g.buying a DECnet license, then buying an
upgrade license, which gives you the right to buy 1-5 upgrades, then buying
another upgrade license which gives you the right to buy 6-10 upgrades, etc.

And what about RDB support?  Is that part of the VMS support?

--

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (06/17/90)

dgh@unify.uucp (David Harrington) writes:
> It may be BUNDLED, but you can bet it ain't FREE!!

devine@shodha.dec.com (Bob Devine) writes:
> You lost the bet.
> The run-time portion of Rdb is free with VMS.

Nope, he wins.  David agrees with your facts, Bob.  It's your usage of
"free" that he takes issue with.  "Free with any purchase of a VMS
license" ain't free.  Let's hope we don't get into the proof-of-purchase
boxtops, OK?  :-)

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Drop in next time you're in the tri-planet area!