[comp.databases] INGRES locking problem?

chesky@portia.Stanford.EDU (Snehylata Gupta) (06/29/90)

Question for INGRES buffs.

I have INGRES version 6.3 running on VMS. It seems sometimes that INGRES
sometimes takes a lock of some such that when you select that record
it does not show up For example: I have an application out that
accesses a table that looks like this

id number 	|	call date	|	notes
		|			|
		|			|
12345678	|			|	record1
12345678	|			|	record2

I am doing this  (4GL, SQL)

select call_date, notes
from notes_tbl
where id_number = :id

Users have only select and insert grants. I have evidence ( 1 occurence)
that record1 was not selected once but reappeared next time.

If this has happened to you, or you can shed light on this matter call
or email me.

Sanjay

408-439-7182

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (06/29/90)

chesky@portia.Stanford.EDU (Snehylata Gupta) writes:

>id number 	|	call date	|	notes
>		|			|
>		|			|
>12345678	|			|	record1
>12345678	|			|	record2

>select call_date, notes
>from notes_tbl
>where id_number = :id

Looks like you're doing a singleton select on a column
with duplicate values (your primary key no less???)
If so you get the first one that matches.  If not,
please show more of your code so it's clear what's
happening in the select loop, e.g. are you presenting
the data to the user?  Using INGRES forms simple fields or
table fields?  And so on.

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Drop in next time you're in the tri-planet area!