[comp.databases] Informix...how do I..solution

jc@mips.COM (J.C. Webber III) (07/06/90)

From jc Wed Jul  4 06:27 PDT 1990
From: jc (J.C. Webber III)
Subject: Re: Informix...how do I...
To: tandem!netcom!bobb (Bob Beaulieu)
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 90 6:27:26 PDT
Cc: jc (J.C. Webber III)
For those of you who may be interested in how I resolved the problem
I posted to the net last week under the Subject:Informix...how do I?
Here's what I came up with.

I found a solution that is good enough for me for the short term.
I found that if I entered the following sequence of characters I got the
job done. First I made the master be the master of the detail within the
perform script. Then I made the detail be the master of the master. That way
you can toggle back and forth between the two records. So, all I have to
do after I finish entering a detail record is press ESC to save it, a 'd'
to switch to the master record, a 'u' to go to update mode, then I had set
up a command in the perform script to do a copy of the detail.quantity_left
field to the master.quantity_left field after an editupdate of the first
field in the master record (the depart_code field in this case). I don't
even have to make a change to that first field, I just have to 'C/R' over
it. Next I enter an ESC to save the master record and then another 'd' to
This may sound very complitated, but not when you put the whole thing,
"d,u,C/R,ESC,d" into a programable funtion key and label it "Update
Master" and print out a comment "Please Update the Master Record next
before continuing". Works like a champ! Turns out it even works when
backing out a sold_record due to an error or a return of merchandize.

Thanks to those who responded, but nobody came up with as easy a solution
as this. Everything else suggested C codding or else 4gl. I'd still not
be up if I went that route. I'm already printing out On-hand reports,
inventory purchase reports and inventory sales reports. I love this
stuff...grreattt ffuunn!!!

jc@tau.mips.com