[comp.databases] Commercially available OODBs

cwl@aber-cs.UUCP (Chris Loftus) (07/09/90)

Hello,
  I'm interested to find out the extent to which object-oriented databases
have been used commercially, experience of use, comparisons with relational
db's etc.. I'm particularly interested in the OODB's GemStone, Vbase,
Orion (is this commercially avail.?).
Also the latest references on any OODB product. Many thanks.
--
Chris Loftus,			PHONE: +44 970 622452
Computer Science Department,	UUCP : { ENGLAND or WALES }!ukc!aber-cs!cwl

olav@gmdzi.UUCP (Olav Kraemer) (07/11/90)

cwl@aber-cs.UUCP (Chris Loftus) writes:
>db's etc.. I'm particularly interested in the OODB's GemStone, Vbase,
>Orion (is this commercially avail.?).
>Also the latest references on any OODB product. Many thanks.

Me-Too!

Would you please publish the answers you get from your query ?
I am currently engaged in a German national research project with the
aim to create a DBMS interface for VLSI-CAD tools. The underlying
DBMS is yet to be selected, but we are keen on choosing an OO one.

Best regards,

Olav Kraemer
--
kraemer@eis.gmd.dbp.de or
olav@gmdzi.UUCP

benson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dan Benson) (07/16/90)

In article <1947@aber-cs.UUCP> cwl@uk.ac.aber.cs () writes:

>db's etc.. I'm particularly interested in the OODB's GemStone, Vbase,
>Orion (is this commercially avail.?).

Yes, Orion has been moved into the commercial world and is now called
ITASCA.  They describe it as an advanced distributed object-oriented
database management system and related tools.  For more info,

Itasca Systems, Inc.
2850 Metro Drive, Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN  55425
(612) 851-3153

--
| Dan Benson                        benson@ee.washington.edu    |
| Dept. of Elec. Engr., FT-10                                   |

brr@abcom.ATT.COM (Rao) (07/23/90)

Other OODBS that will be abvailable soon arealso quite interesting.
Object Design will have a product soon that has a C++ based
Query Language, and there might be others in the market
with similar  products.

Some of the C++ based products out there seem to be clones
of the EXODUS stuff developed at UW, Madison. The E language
developed there was a C++ clone (rather an extension).

I would like to know what M. Carey andothers at Wisconsin
are up to now. Netters from the CS dept. in Wisconsin can
perhaps keep us informed about the status of the EXODUS project.

-bindu rama rao

doug@shamash.cdc.com (3158) (07/24/90)

Itasca Systems of Minneapolis, MN, is offering a commercial version of
MCC's ORION under the name ITASCA.  The contact at Itasca Systems is
John Dolejsi (Duh-lay-she), 612/851-3153, fax: 612/851-3157.

Doug
doug@shamash.cdc.com