[comp.databases] Has anyone used CQL?

jhc@m2jhc.uucp (James H. Coombs) (07/25/90)

In article <1990Jul25.070404.4330@wam.umd.edu> gravity@wam.umd.edu (Rick Kissh) writes:
>I am considering purchasing a product named CQL from Machine Independent
>Software Corp. located in Reston, VA.  CQL is an implementation of ANSI 1986
>SQL with extentions [sic].

I have it sitting on my shelf.  I evaluated it for use under Unix.  It
has been about a year since I looked at it for use with c-tree.  We use
c-tree for all of our databases.  I can't say now exactly what is wrong
with it.  It is tantalizing but just does not do the job that we needed
it for.  It did take me a couple of days to come up with an executable
that could actually create a database, and I found that very
frustrating.  Unless they have a version designed for Unix, you can
expect to expend some effort getting it running.

Now it is coming back to me.  I *suspect* that CQL does not support
compound keys (constructed from more than one field).

Subjectively, I have never felt that I was working with a professional
package.  The documentation is sparse.  The comments in the source code
are even sparser.

We then took a look at db_Files and db_Retrieve (complete with some
vehement discussion in this group).  They do not support varying length
records, as I recall.  We could have tried db_Vista, but people felt
that it was too expensive, and I *think* there was no query
optimization in the SQL engine.  Also, people were very happy with
c-tree, which gave us simplicity, reliability, and performance that we
had never enjoyed with Ingres.  They were reluctant to make another
change, especially toward something that looked bigger and more
complicated.  In the end, we agreed that it would be more cost
effective to develop our own query engine, which could support a subset
of SQL and be optimized and tuned to our needs.  Without a doubt, it
was more cost effective:  we scrapped the project for other reasons.

Hope these vague recollections help.  --Jim