[comp.databases] INGRES dead process/thread recovery

thompson@ucselx.sdsu.edu (thompson s) (07/26/90)

Has anyone out there using INGRES 6.nn (preferably) on a VMS based
VAX experienced the following problem?

	A user passes a query to the server (via ISQL) that is
	non-trivial (eg. based on a complex view, etc..) and
	decides that s/he doesn't really want to run the query
        so s/he issues a <ctrl>C to abort the query...

	The server apparently gets passed the "interrupt" and
	puts the query's thread into a CS_DEAD_MASK state (this
	was determined via IPM).  Meanwhile the server goes into
	a wild frenzy of disk thrashing (LOTS of DIO) and all other
	threads on the server get marginal (if that) response.

	The folks at INGRES seem to think that the server is doing
	some sort of necessary clean-up, but this lasts for hours
	and eventually we have to kill the server and start a new
	one...

Help me if you can...

I'll even accept sym/empathy!

					Bye Now,

					Scott Thompson
					San Diego State University
					(619) 594-4276

chesky@portia.Stanford.EDU (Snehylata Gupta) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul25.193815.7547@ucselx.sdsu.edu> thompson@ucselx.sdsu.edu (thompson s) writes:
>Has anyone out there using INGRES 6.nn (preferably) on a VMS based
>VAX experienced the following problem?
>
>	A user passes a query to the server (via ISQL) that is

Deleted stuff

>	The folks at INGRES seem to think that the server is doing
>	some sort of necessary clean-up, but this lasts for hours
>	and eventually we have to kill the server and start a new
>	one...
>
>Help me if you can...
>
>I'll even accept sym/empathy!
>
>					Scott Thompson
The Ingres people are right.
We had the same problem running Ingres 6.3 on VMS 5.2 some one did a
select * from table_1 where key like %
and the table had 40,000 rows, after a while he did a cntrl - C.
We watched that process for 6 hours through IPM and when we were about
to kill the server it vanished. So in this case I agree with the INGRES
folks. One thing that you can do is as follows : Raise the base priority
of the process running that INGRES process. It should clean it up
faster. Because I think that INGRES processes inherit the base
priorities of the aprent process.

Otherwise there is nothing you can do except shut down that server.

You can bring up another server while the other one continues the
rollback process.

Sanjay