[comp.databases] Master Calendar

iaadmjw@prism.gatech.EDU (WOOLEN JAMES) (07/11/90)

Georgia Tech is looking into automating the president's schedule (calendar)
using Oracle as a platform.  This will be done in several phases eventually
it will consist of a room scheduler, event scheduler, etc.  Is there any
public institution that may have already done this sort of application???
Would be interested in hearing from those who have done this sort of thing,
or any positive suggestions as to availability of existing packages to run
preferrably under Unix and must be Oracle-based.

--
WOOLEN JAMES
uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!iaadmjw

cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) (07/13/90)

From article <11207@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by iaadmjw@prism.gatech.EDU (WOOLEN JAMES):
> Georgia Tech is looking into automating the president's schedule (calendar)
> using Oracle as a platform.  This will be done in several phases eventually
> it will consist of a room scheduler, event scheduler, etc.  Is there any
> public institution that may have already done this sort of application???
> Would be interested in hearing from those who have done this sort of thing,
> or any positive suggestions as to availability of existing packages to run
> preferrably under Unix and must be Oracle-based.
>
> --
> WOOLEN JAMES
> Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
> uucp: ...!{allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!prism!iaadmjw
> ARPA: iaadmjw@prism.gatech.edu

 We are establishing a fairly comprehensive facility management system at
 the University based around Oracle and MicroStation (a CAD system). Part
 of the specification for this system includes room scheduling. This is
 slightly different from timetabling, in that it's focus is on the room
 rather than the person (as a user of that room). We intend to firstly
 overlay all regular room booking (classes), then allow the on-site hotel
 access to whatever timeslots are left, then allow anybody on campus to book
 a room on an adhoc basis. Most of the campus is populated with Mac's, and
 Unix boxes, so the adhoc room booking can be done by most people from their
 office (ie what rooms are available from 1-3 on Monday, that can seat 6, and
 have an overhead projector, etc..) Now where is that room?? Up pops floor
 plan with room highlighed in red. Great, give me a print/plot... etc, etc.

 At this stage we have been concentrating on establishing the as-built
 database, which tells us what we've got (how can you do any planning if
 you don't know what you've got??!!). From there we are slowly identifying
 task related applications for this as-built data. At this stage, these
 include maintenance (preventative, corrective, etc.), space planning (when
 are we going to have to build more offices, small classes, etc.), key
 control (who's got access to this room), ROOM SCHEDULING, and security, in
 that order. Each of these are really stand-alone applications in their
 own right, but what I think is unique about what we're doing is we're
 aiming to have all those applications sharing the same data, from anywhere
 on campus. So that for instance, if somebody moves office, you only have
 to move them on the system, and the applications which access that information
 will know immediately of the change (ie not having to change it for each
 application).

 This is all deviating from your original enquiry. In short we will be doing
 what you are about to try, and yes it will be done on Oracle, but as you can
 see from the order we are attacking this thing, room scheduling is down the
 list for us. Like you, I would be keen to hear from anybody who has tackled
 this problem, and from anybody doing anything similar to us. The tools we
 are using are Oracle (non-graphic data), MicroStation (graphic data), and
 HyperCard (front-end for Mac's) all linked to each other 'seamlessly' and
 'transparently' from the user.

 Cameron Stephenson                         Telephone  +61 75 951220
 Bond University
 Gold Coast    Australia

wes@loft386.uucp (Wes Peters) (07/27/90)

From article <11207@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by iaadmjw@prism.gatech.EDU (WOOLEN JAMES):

In article <1216@kirk.nmg.bu.oz>, cameron@kirk.nmg.bu.oz (Cameron Stevenson) writes:
>  We are establishing a fairly comprehensive facility management system at
>  the University based around Oracle and MicroStation (a CAD system). Part
>  of the specification for this system includes room scheduling. This is
>  slightly different from timetabling, in that it's focus is on the room
>  rather than the person (as a user of that room)...
>  ............ Like you, I would be keen to hear from anybody who has tackled
>  this problem, and from anybody doing anything similar to us. The tools we
>  are using are Oracle (non-graphic data), MicroStation (graphic data), and
>  HyperCard (front-end for Mac's) all linked to each other 'seamlessly' and
>  'transparently' from the user.

I am working on a training system for a government agency where we do
scheduling of class rooms and instructors using Oracle.  Our planning
and scheduling software is developed with a combination of SQL*Forms
and Pro*FOR, which is Oracle's SQL-imbedded-in-Fortran product.  These
have turned out to be workable tools for our system.

Our Oracle database runs on VAX/VMS unfortunately.  We use Silicon
Grahpics Iris-4D workstations running Unix for graphical displays, and
communicate with Oracle on the VAX via Wollongong TCP/IP software for
VMS and our own database server processes written in Pro*FOR.  This
has proven to be a VERY clunky way to do this - I wouldn't recommend
it to anyone.  I keep trying to get my management to look into SQL*net
to connect the workstations directly to the Oracle server on the VAX,
but they won't even THINK about it - too much money.

Our planning and scheduling is really quite involved, we do a lot of
financial cost accounting and reporting after a particular training
session is done, and we schedule a lot of 'things' other than rooms
and instructors as well.  Oracle has proven to be a reasonable tool
for implementing this, but we have some rather severe performance
problems with Oracle.  Granted we are using outdated, low-performance
hardware (3 VAX 8250s in a cluster, 12MB memory each) to run the
database on, but I have heard of better performance from other DBMSs.

Unless you are already an Oracle shop, I'd look around first.  If you
are already an Oracle shop, make sure you have at least a couple of
people around who REALLY know Oracle, or plan on sending a couple of
people to Oracle's training classes.

Reply to: wes@loft386,   uunet!loft386!wes