[comp.databases] Friendly SQL User Interface

ralph@unifybb.uucp (42601 Florida State U./ISPA) (07/27/90)

	I'm looking for a user friendly interface to SQL.  Basically, a menu
driven system with pull down menus and pop up windows, etc. that will allow
users to perform queries on an Oracle database without the user having to know
SQL.

        For example,  if a user wanted to perform a query. She could pull down
a window showing a list of tables.  She would then select a specific table
from the list and then the fields for that table will pop up on another
window.  She could then pick a field from this window as part of a query. Once
she has picked all the fields needed for the query, the program would then
build the select statement behind the scenes and perform the query.  The data
selected from the database will then be sent to a file. Of course, the
selection of data should also allow conditionals on the query, in order words
the 'where' clause.

        I've seen some applications for the Mac that do, more or less, what I
need but not for DOS (, Unix or VMS).  Has anyone has seen such a program for
DOS, (Unix or VMS)?  I'll appreciate all suggestions.  The program can be a
commercial package, shareware or even shareware with source code.

Ralph Axel Zuniga
(904)644-3410 ext. 147

Addresses:
BNetRB@%FSU.BITNET@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu    Internet
BNetRB@RAI.CC.FSU.EDU                 BITNet

hg@tsisj1.UUCP (Heinrich Gantenbein) (07/28/90)

In article <26AFCD8A.20571@unifybb.uucp> ralph@unifybb.uucp (42601 Florida State U./ISPA) writes:
[stuff deleted]
>        I've seen some applications for the Mac that do, more or less, what I
>need but not for DOS (, Unix or VMS).  Has anyone has seen such a program for
>DOS, (Unix or VMS)?  I'll appreciate all suggestions.  The program can be a
>commercial package, shareware or even shareware with source code.
Look at SimplifySQL from SUN Microsystems. It works with all major RDBMS vendors
(Oracle, Informix, Ingress, Sybase?). It is an OpenLook type application. SUN
produced it to show the advantages of OpenLook, so the quality is probably
good.

Heinrich Gantenbein, Software Consultant:   I'd rather be sailing.
hg@tsisj1.uucp
..!apple!ditka!tsisj1!hg  ...!mips!daver!ditka!hg

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (07/31/90)

ralph@unifybb.uucp (42601 Florida State U./ISPA) writes:

>        I've seen some applications for the Mac that do, more or less, what I
>need but not for DOS (, Unix or VMS).  Has anyone has seen such a program for
>DOS, (Unix or VMS)?  I'll appreciate all suggestions.  The program can be a
>commercial package, shareware or even shareware with source code.

>Ralph Axel Zuniga
>BNetRB@%FSU.BITNET@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu    Internet
>BNetRB@RAI.CC.FSU.EDU                 BITNet

How about Multiplex from Network Innovations?  This is the purpose of their
program - it can also export on a DOS platform to other programs like
spreadsheets.
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :

rsherman@dhlmis.DHL.COM (Rick Sherman) (07/31/90)

You might look at a product called Intelligent Query (IQ). It does all that
you ask and I believe runs on many platforms (DOS, UNIX, XENIX). The
address is:

      Programmed Intelligence Corporation
      6991 Peachtree Industrial Blvd.
      Suite 100