[comp.databases] data stored in encrypted format

lsefton@Apple.COM (Laurie Sefton) (07/27/90)

Does anyone offer a database package that allows you to automatically store
the data in a non-des encrypted format? Either shared secret or product of
two primes method is fine.

Thanks

Laurie Sefton
--
lsefton@apple.com {amdahl,sun,ames,pyramid}!apple!lsefton
Don't write a book unless someone's going to pay you a ton of money for it.

mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) (07/29/90)

Why not define your field and write your own encription/decription routine
which would encript/decript on the fly (or something like that)?  There
are plenty of encription/decription algorithms floating around.

jas@llama.Ingres.COM (Jim Shankland) (07/31/90)

In article <226@cti1.UUCP> mpledger@cti1.UUCP (Mark Pledger) writes:
>[Regarding an inquiry about DMBS's that support encrypting data written
>to disk:]
>
>Why not define your field and write your own encription/decription [sic]
>routine which would encript/decript on the fly (or something like that)?
>There are plenty of encription/decription [sic] algorithms floating around.

That is probably fine for some applications, but will make many keyed
lookups impossible.  (I.e., How will you get the equivalent of
"select * from emp where hire_date < 1-jan-87"?  If you end up selecting
all rows, decrypting each one, and checking the hire_date, you lose
badly against an encrypting DBMS that has the table indexed on hire_date.)

jas

These are my opinions; Ingres Corp. neither knows nor cares about them.