[comp.databases] Communication between INGRES, Interbase, Sybase, Oracle, etc.

ikhan@mentor.com (Iqbal Khan) (07/28/90)

I wanted to know about communication between Ingres and other databases like Sybase
Oracle etc.  If one wants to write an application that will access data from all these
databases, how easy is it (or even if it is possible).

E-mail responses or postings to this net would be greatly appreciated.

Iqbal Mustafa Khan

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul27.202435.28649@mentor.com> ikhan@mentor.com (Iqbal Khan) writes:
>I wanted to know about communication between Ingres and other databases like Sybase
>Oracle etc.  If one wants to write an application that will access data from all these
>databases, how easy is it (or even if it is possible).
>
>E-mail responses or postings to this net would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Iqbal Mustafa Khan

* Product Add On *

Interbase is also sold by Cognos as Starbase and includes a gateway product
called Stargate . PowerHouse 4gl can concurrently access multiple files/tables
in a process

* Product Add Off *

e.g

	On Vms to write a report joining tables/files in Quiz you could
	join the following logical tables which reside in different file
	systems etc.

	Access Rms_Mailbox_file link to Starbase_relation link to 	&
		Rdb_Vms_relation link to Rms_indexed_file link to	&
		Oracle_relation_via_Stargate link to record_number of	&
		Rms_Direct_Or_relative_file

	report col1 col2	....... coln

	etc etc etc

Note that PowerHouse does not require any knowledge of SQL,DSRI,OSRI,
GDML,RMS etc

As you can see it is very simple . PowerHouse is DSRI compliant on VMS
and OSRI (Interbase version of DSRI) compliant on Vms,Hp-UX,Hp-Xl and
Ux on Dg-Aviion . Note that the gateway allows a process that thinks it
is accessing Starbase to access read/write an Oracle 5.1 database .

Cannot help you re Sybase/Ingres .

If you design a strong logical design which is independent of the physical
implementation you should be okay across multiple platforms . At the
physical layer you have to watch out for datatypes and naming conventions
plus any file system feature that you want to use such as a two-phase commit
which several systems have not implemented etc .

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.