[comp.databases] UNIFY Diagnostic Tools

nfm1470@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Paul E. Bronsdon) (08/03/90)

Below is a repost of a previous article

From news Thu Aug  2 14:34:14 1990
From: nbb1303@drms.UUCP (Bob Fleck)
Newsgroups: dla.database,dla.software,dla.questions
Subject: Unify Diagnostic Tools
Date: 31 Jul 90 12:01:09 GMT

Because of a problem with postnews, the following is a reposting:

BACKGROUND:  DSAC-N will be responsible for some 150 databases at
sites around the word (there will be six Unify 4.0 databases on
Gould 9050s and NP1s and 140 Unify 2000 databases on AT & T
3B2s).  DRMS users will update the databases interactively during
prime shifts (about 9 hours a day, five days per week) and
operator controlled batch updates will be run (about 2 hours a
day) during non-prime shifts.

INTEGRITY PROBLEMS:  We have seen the classes of integrity
problems listed below crop up . . .

     * *  Corrupted B-trees (Unify 4.0 & 2000).

     * *  Corrupted hash table (Unify 4.0 & 2000).  Records
exists, but cannot be accessed by its key.

     * *  Invalid links (Unify 4.0 & 2000).  Child record exists
without its parent.

     Currently we have no diagnostic software to aid in
monitoring the integrity of these databases.  At most sites, the
users will not have enough experience to monitor and fix the
databases.  Additionally, because of the number of sites and
their time zone distribution, we do not have the staff to perform
comprehensive monitoring and repairing.

HELP:

     Does Unify Corporation have diagnostic/repair software for
Unify 4.0 & 2000 that we are unaware of?

     Is diagnostic/repair software commercially available for
Unify 4.0 & 2000?

     Has anyone written diagnostic/repair software for Unify 4.0
& 2000 that we can use?

     Any other ideas?
--
Robert J. Fleck  DLA Systems Automation Center, Battle Creek, MI  49017
		 AV 932-5132   Commerical (616) 961-5132