[comp.databases] Oracle TWO-TASK DRIVERS

petter@fdmetd.uucp (Petter Henrik Hansen) (07/25/90)

Choosing a two-task driwer seems to be simple. The fast driver compared
with the pipe driver is obviously superior.

BUT!! There must be a drawback with this.

exp/imp and odl will improve, but what about insertion/search?
Would it be wise to use only exp/imp,odl with fast-driver?

Could anyone please send me som words about how to chose the right
driver.
Has anyone already tested this?

I am using a NCR Tower 32/6** and a 32/8**.
SQL*Net will not be in use.
There will be no communication betveen the different databases.
Any comments will be welcome!

Petter Henrik Hansen,  Fellesdata a.s, P.O. Box 248, 0212 OSLO 2, NORWAY
Phone : +47 2 52 84 02                            Fax   : +47 2 52 85 10
E-mail : ...!mcsun!nuug!fdmetd!petter   or       petter@fdmetd.uucp
<The opinions expressed, if any, do not represent Fellesdata a.s>

exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Nirad Sharma) (08/01/90)

In <761@fdmetd.uucp> petter@fdmetd.uucp (Petter Henrik Hansen) writes:

>Choosing a two-task driwer seems to be simple. The fast driver compared
>with the pipe driver is obviously superior.

>BUT!! There must be a drawback with this.

I don't doubt that this is true however I am having some problem getting
the fast driver to work on our system. It says something along the lines
of "server crashed". The whole machine does not, crash with it, however.

Our system :	IBM PS/2 Model 80	(8Megs RAM, 110MByte HD)
		SCO XENIX 2.3.2
		Oracle version 5

The system works fine with the pipe driver.

What am I doing wrong ?

Nirad Sharma  (exnirad@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au)
Continuing Education Unit
The University of Queensland
AUSTRALIA

johnny@edvvie.at (Johann Schweigl/104857600) (08/04/90)

> The system works fine with the pipe driver.
>
> What am I doing wrong ?

Probably nothing. Check your ORACLE Release Notes to find out if the fast
driver is implemented. It is not available on some systems I know.

Regards, Johnny
--
This does not reflect the   | Johann  Schweigl | DOS?
opinions of my employer.    | johnny@edvvie.at | Kind of complicated