[comp.databases] Zip Codes, dBASE

atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) (07/13/90)

Sometime ago someone mentioned about a database of zip codes for the
50 states is available. Does anyone has a copy or know where I can
get a copy, either in text or dbase format? Thanks

Anthony

campus: University of Southern California  |     "Black Velvet"
        Alumni House                       |           --Alannah Myles

roger@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Boissonnas) (07/13/90)

In article <25854@usc.edu> atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) writes:
>Sometime ago someone mentioned about a database of zip codes for the
>50 states is available. Does anyone has a copy or know where I can
>get a copy, either in text or dbase format? Thanks

I believe you can get such a database from the United States Post Office.
I remember them mailing me something several years ago, offering to convert
all the ZIP codes in my databases from five-digit format to the new, improved
nine-digit format.  This offer also included correcting and standardizing your
addresses, as much as possible.

I think this whole deal was free.

Roger Boissonnas                                    roger@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
Cornell Theory Center                                             (607) 254-8686

wluo@brahms.amd.com (Wilbur Luo) (07/13/90)

In article <10536@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> roger@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Boissonnas) writes:
>In article <25854@usc.edu> atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) writes:
>>Sometime ago someone mentioned about a database of zip codes for the
>>50 states is available. Does anyone has a copy or know where I can
>>get a copy, either in text or dbase format? Thanks
>
>I believe you can get such a database from the United States Post Office.
>I remember them mailing me something several years ago, offering to convert
>all the ZIP codes in my databases from five-digit format to the new, improved
>nine-digit format.  This offer also included correcting and standardizing your
>addresses, as much as possible.
>
>I think this whole deal was free.
>

>Roger Boissonnas                                    roger@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu
>Cornell Theory Center                                             (607) 254-8686

I just called the post office. The number to get more info on this is
800-238-3150 ext 80.  Unfortunately the deal is not free. It costs
$350 (annual fee). Not inexpensive.

-W

jasonp@ashtate (Jason Pan) (08/01/90)

In article <25854@usc.edu> atieu@skat.usc.edu (Anthony Tieu) writes:

>Sometime ago someone mentioned about a database of zip codes for the
>50 states is available. Does anyone has a copy or know where I can
>get a copy, either in text or dbase format? Thanks
>
>Anthony

Try downloading the file ZIPCODES.ZIP from the Ashton-Tate BBS.
The phone number is (213) 324-2188, toll-free access to the BBS
is available through the CompuServe Network, call your local Compuserve
access number and enter "ATBBS" at the "HOST:" prompt.

Jason Pan
Ashton Tate-Software Support
jasonp@ashton.a-t.com
pan@skat.usc.edu

srm@occrsh.ATT.COM (08/05/90)

/* ---------- "Re: Zip Codes, dBASE" ---------- */

For those interested, one can request a 9-track tape from the U.S. Postal
Service that contains all the 5-digit zips for all 50 states plus misc.
U.S. territories.  I got one a few years ago.  It was free for the asking.
There is also a set of tapes for 9-digit zips available.  Be ready for
about 12 tapes.  The data stored is in fixed length for easy parsing.
You may need to specify a blocking factor.  The tapes I received were
in the form of 12K bytes per block.  Some tape drives may not handle
more than 8K.  Being on an AT&T UNIX machine, I used 'dd' to read in.
--
Steven R. McMaster            UNIX(R) mail:  ...!uunet!att!occrsh!srm
AT&T Network Systems

ampah@swpyr2.sbc.com (Paul Herzog) (08/07/90)

Newsgroups: comp.databases
Subject: Re: Zip Codes, dBASE
In article <143900003@occrsh.ATT.COM> srm@occrsh.ATT.COM writes:

>For those interested, one can request a 9-track tape from the U.S. Postal
>Service that contains all the 5-digit zips for all 50 states plus misc.
>U.S. territories.  I got one a few years ago.  It was free for the asking.
						       ^^^^
Not anymore; costs about $1500 today.
--
Paul Herzog			VOICE   : 314-235-8025
One Bell Center RM 30F7		UUCP    : uunet!swbatl!swpyr2!ampah