[comp.databases] Want Info on Apple's DAL

talley@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James T. Talley) (08/05/90)

I have some questions about Apple's Data Access Language (DAL --
formerly CL/1).  It's not clear from the promotional literature I have
whether the DAL server software is a necessary part of the equation
for access to SQL databases.  For example, if you have Oracle running
on an A/UX system, do you need the DAL server software on the A/UX
machine for DAL clients on other Macs to access the Oracle databases?

While we're on the subject, the price list I have (Developer Tools
Express -- Summer 1990) lists several CL/1 server packages for
non-Unix machines.  Is there such a thing as a DAL server for A/UX?

Am I just completely confused?

James Talley

chuq@Apple.COM (Spot, the Wonder Dog) (08/05/90)

talley@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James T. Talley) writes:

>I have some questions about Apple's Data Access Language (DAL --
>formerly CL/1).  It's not clear from the promotional literature I have
>whether the DAL server software is a necessary part of the equation
>for access to SQL databases.

Yes. You need a server on the host machine to access a database. It's the
hook that gets you onto the system.

>For example, if you have Oracle running
>on an A/UX system, do you need the DAL server software on the A/UX
>machine for DAL clients on other Macs to access the Oracle databases?

If a DAL server existed on A/UX, yes. DAL is only supported on VMS, MVS and
VM at the current time. There's no A/UX-based server right now.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small world, after all!
It's a small, small world!

hdai@dvlseq.oracle.com (Henry Dai) (08/07/90)

> From: talley@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (James T. Talley)
> Newsgroups: comp.databases,comp.unix.aux
> Subject: Want Info on Apple's DAL (CL/1)
> Date: 4 Aug 90 19:46:51 GMT
> Sender: news@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu
>
> I have some questions about Apple's Data Access Language (DAL --
> formerly CL/1).  It's not clear from the promotional literature I have
> whether the DAL server software is a necessary part of the equation
> for access to SQL databases.  For example, if you have Oracle running
> on an A/UX system, do you need the DAL server software on the A/UX
> machine for DAL clients on other Macs to access the Oracle databases?

I can't speak for other databases, but you do NOT need to have DAL to
access the Oracle databases on AUX.  Oracle can run independently of any
other database software.

The main advantage of DAL is that it provides a uniform inteface to
various supported databases.  See the article titled "Competitors or
Complements?" in the spring issue of ORACLE magzine for a detailed
comparison analysis of DAL and comparable Oracle products, and Oracle's
position on DAL.

> While we're on the subject, the price list I have (Developer Tools
> Express -- Summer 1990) lists several CL/1 server packages for
> non-Unix machines.  Is there such a thing as a DAL server for A/UX?
>
> Am I just completely confused?

No, you are not.  Last I heard, the Networking Innovations, the company
that develops DAL for Apple, is porting DAL servers to A/UX 2.0 .
Eventually, it will work with major databases like Oracle.  So with
Oracle, you will have a choice of using DAL or not.

> James Talley

Henry Dai

hdai@dvlseq.oracle.com (Henry Dai) (08/08/90)

To clearify my previous article on DAL: one does not have to have DAL to
access Oracle, though DAL clients DO need a DAL server to access Oracle.

Henry Dai