[comp.databases] SQL databases and Novell. Is it possible ?

frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) (07/24/90)

I am currently trying to find a solution to the following problem :

Current situation :

  A large commercial bank in Iceland with 37 branch offices wishes to
  start using a SQL database and allow everyone to access the data.

  The branch offices are all connected to a Novell network (one
  network for each branch office) and those networks are connected to
  the central Novell network at the HQ with leased lines and X.25.
  The bank also has a VAX 6330 running VMS which is supposed to
  act as a database server. (It is also possible to run Ultrix on
  the VAX or just buy a new computer)

Problem:
  What database software allows the Novell users to query the central
  databases ?

  I know that Oracle has a solution based on using Racal
  Interlan bridge but does the bridge understand Novell wide
  area networks ?

  Informix also has a solution based on running TCP/IP or NFS in
  the PCs but is that compatible with Novell ?

  If we run Rdb on the VAX is there any way we can allow the
  PCs to acces the database ?

  Do other Databases allow this kind of connectivity ?

I would thankful if someone knows if this is possible or has
this kind of setup running.

Please mail any replies to stb@isbank.is
--
Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion

jy2y1@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (07/26/90)

In article <1864@krafla.rhi.hi.is>, frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
> I am currently trying to find a solution to the following problem :
>

>   If we run Rdb on the VAX is there any way we can allow the
>   PCs to acces the database ?
>
>   Do other Databases allow this kind of connectivity ?
>
> I would thankful if someone knows if this is possible or has
> this kind of setup running.
>
> Please mail any replies to stb@isbank.is
> --
> Fridrik Skulason      University of Iceland  |
> Technical Editor of the Virus Bulletin (UK)  |  Reserved for future expansion
> E-Mail: frisk@rhi.hi.is    Fax: 354-1-28801  |

I have a project running on a vax 8530 using Rdb, Teamdata and Rally that is
accesed by PC using PROCOMM. The users create their reports on the vax and
print it using PROCOMM. It works well. The project covers New York State
, including New York City.
I'd be glad to give you more details if you are going that route!
Macs access the database usually using Red Ryder or NCSA Telnet if connecting
on Campus (where the vax computer resides).

					Antonio Scherer
					Cornell University
					Ithaca, NY

davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) (07/28/90)

In article <1864@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:

     If we run Rdb on the VAX is there any way we can allow the
     PCs to acces the database ?

In version 3.1 of Rdb, I see a component known as SQL/Services.  This is
apparently an API to allow programs on various computers (like MS-DOS
machines) access to DSRI compliant databases on a VAX.  It's a client/server
model of access.  The PC, in some way, will put together an SQL statement that
is then shipped to the VAX which then returns the results.

Check with Digital.
David Masterson					Consilium, Inc.
uunet!cimshop!davidm				Mt. View, CA  94043
"If someone thinks they know what I said, then I didn't say it!"

wallis@labc.enet.dec.com (Barry L. Wallis) (08/13/90)

In article <CIMSHOP!DAVIDM.90Jul27112658@uunet.UU.NET>, cimshop!davidm@uunet.UU.NET (David S. Masterson) writes...
;In article <1864@krafla.rhi.hi.is> frisk@rhi.hi.is (Fridrik Skulason) writes:
;
;     If we run Rdb on the VAX is there any way we can allow the
;     PCs to acces the database ?
;
;In version 3.1 of Rdb, I see a component known as SQL/Services.  This is
;apparently an API to allow programs on various computers (like MS-DOS
;machines) access to DSRI compliant databases on a VAX.  It's a client/server
;model of access.  The PC, in some way, will put together an SQL statement that
;is then shipped to the VAX which then returns the results.
;
;Check with Digital.
;--

Yes, SQL/Services for MS/DOS will allow an application on the PC to be a client
to an Rdb/VMS database residing on a VAX (or even a DB2 database using VIDA for
DB2). You communicate with it via Dynamic SQL statements. Ultrix and VAX/VMS
machines can also be clients. SQL/Services is included with Rdb.
---
Barry L. Wallis			USENET: wallis@labc.dec.com
Database Consultant		Prodigy (don't laugh): DNMX41A
U.S. DECtp Resource Center	DECUServe: EISNER::WALLIS (not on the net yet)
Los Angeles, CA			"No one voted for me, I represent myself"
---