[comp.databases] FoxPro

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (09/18/89)

Is it out yet?  Anyone seen it?  I read the article in the latest DBMS,
and it looks GREAT!
--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

brian.loesgen@canremote.uucp (BRIAN LOESGEN) (09/20/89)

ch>Is it out yet?  Anyone seen it?  I read the article in the latest
ch>DBMS, and it looks GREAT!

It isn't out yet, per se. Attendees of the recent Fox Developers
Conference were given copies of Fox Pro V0.95. Fox expects to be
shipping by the end of the month.

The reports I've heard about it make it sound like Fox has a major
success on it's hand. The best news I've heard, as a developer, is that
they have ported the Trace/Debug windows from Foxbase Mac. Memo handling
is greatly enhanced, you can even use memo fields to store binary
information (or GIF files, if you like). Full windowing and mouse
support has been added. Speed is improved.

---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a10 #112    Clippering(In_Toronto,Canada)

glenn@ocsmd.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) (08/10/90)

I would like to find out some more information on FoxPro from anyone
out there who has used it.  A little while ago I posted a message about
Oracles inability to use a LONG field in an application.  Well, Foxpro
can do this.  Now, my question is what can Oracle do that Foxpro
can't do?  Can FoxPro do search on multiple fields in a record? across
tables? etc... thanks.

Glenn Ford
BBS:  301-972-6131
HOME: 301-972-2310
UUCP: ..uunet!ocsmd!{stsim!}glenn

terry@wolves.uucp (Terry L Parker) (08/11/90)

In <1052@ocsmd.ocs.com> glenn@ocsmd.ocs.com (Glenn Ford) writes:

>I would like to find out some more information on FoxPro from anyone
>out there who has used it.  A little while ago I posted a message about
>Oracles inability to use a LONG field in an application.  Well, Foxpro
>can do this.  Now, my question is what can Oracle do that Foxpro
>can't do?  Can FoxPro do search on multiple fields in a record? across
>tables? etc... thanks.

Foxpro can search on multiple fields in a record (you create an index that
consists of a multiple-field key).  It will not automatically search across
multiple tables, but that is easy enough to program.

Foxpro is a (great) superset of the dBase/Foxbase/dBase IV languages.  I
have been programming in xbase languages since '82 and am nuts about
Foxpro.  Be warned though, that it is a language.  While it has a user
interface with which you can perform data management tasks, its real
power lies in writing specific applications using the Foxpro language.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to toss them out.

  Terrence L. Parker                 terry.parker@bbs.acs.unc.edu  -OR-
  "Just you...  and MOFO, the        terry%wolves@cs.duke.edu  -OR-
   psychic gorilla!"-Penn & Teller   CIS: 76114,3715

shevett@mccc.uucp (Dave Shevett) (08/13/90)

=
=>I would like to find out some more information on FoxPro from anyone
=>out there who has used it.  A little while ago I posted a message about
=>Oracles inability to use a LONG field in an application.  Well, Foxpro
=>can do this.  Now, my question is what can Oracle do that Foxpro
=>can't do?  Can FoxPro do search on multiple fields in a record? across
=>tables? etc... thanks.
=
=Foxpro can search on multiple fields in a record (you create an index that
=consists of a multiple-field key).  It will not automatically search across
=multiple tables, but that is easy enough to program.
=

I think there's a couple things that you have to make sure you know about
FoxPro - 1st - it is *NOT* an SQL system.  It is a superset of A-T's dBase
system (ok, Vulcan, but you get the idea).  As Terry mentions, it's user
interface is FANTASTIC, both from a programmers standpoint, and the
end-users.  Developing within the system is a delight (multiple file
editor, copy/paste across any form of window [memo to editor to command
line to help system - all the same]).

2 - FoxPro is only available on DOS systems.  FoxBase, the older Fox
product, is available on a dozen or so systems (I've run the same
application under Xenix, DOS, Mac, and Unix on a 3b2, and had *NO*
problems - Anyone know if FoxPro'll be moved to other platforms - say, a
Sun???)

If you're developing a large multi-user application for use on a DOS LAN,
Look seriously at FoxPro LAN - inexpensive, EXTREMELY QUICK, and *very*
powerful.

|    Dave Shevett    | "The shortest distance |   Labyrinth II BBS   |
| Lawrenceveille, NJ | between two puns is a  |    (609) 584-8774    |
|  shevett@mccc.UUCP | straight line..."      | 12/24/19200 PEP 24hrs|