[comp.databases] How to get UNIX Sybase to serve PC clients?

gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) (08/13/90)

I have been told by multiple sources that Sybase on a UNIX system
won't support PCs.  I suppose that one reason is that the UNIX
version of Sybase supports a proprietary TCP based protocol while
the SQL Server on OS/2 uses some XNS based system.

If the packets are identical on the inside (after session is establised)
we could write a protocol converter.  I suppose that any system that
supports named pipes and sockets would be a nice protocol conversion
platform.  How about OS/2 with FTP Software library?

Do I HAVE to go through this, or is there an alternative.  I'd really
hate to have to reverse engineer the protocols if there isn't some
good documentation.

Any suggestions.
*  Brian Jay Gould - Professional Brain-stormer *

sean@mercury.sybase.com (Sean Fitts) (08/14/90)

In article <Aug.12.23.12.18.1990.10579@pilot.njin.net> gould@pilot.njin.net (Brian Jay Gould) writes:
>I have been told by multiple sources that Sybase on a UNIX system
>won't support PCs.  I suppose that one reason is that the UNIX
>version of Sybase supports a proprietary TCP based protocol while
>the SQL Server on OS/2 uses some XNS based system.

I don't know what your sources of information are, but they have lead
you astray.  While it was true that the initial release of our
client API (Db-Library) on the PC could only connect to OS/2 based
SQL Servers (though not for the reason you state), this is no longer
the case.  We now provide connection to UNIX based servers using
a number of different TCP/IP packages from various vendors.

> [... comments about protocol conversion elided ...]
>
>  ...  How about OS/2 with FTP Software library?

As it turns out, this is one of the vendors that we support.

>Do I HAVE to go through this, or is there an alternative.  I'd really
>hate to have to reverse engineer the protocols if there isn't some
>good documentation.
>
>Any suggestions.
>--
>*  Brian Jay Gould - Professional Brain-stormer *

NO need to jump through hoops.  Just contact your Sybase sales rep
or Sybase directly and ask about our DB-NET 3.4 product.

<Sorry about the product pitch people, but when I see misinformation
 on the net, I like to correct it there as well>

			-Sean Fitts

Sean Fitts   / Sybase  /  6475 Christie Ave.  /  Emeryville, CA 94608
sean@mercury.sybase.com  -or- {mtxinu,pacbell,sun,pyramid}!sybase!sean
Disclaimer:  Any opinions, expressed or implied, are mine, not Sybase's

              "Where ever you go, there you are - BB"