[comp.databases] Recital database for UNIX/386?

todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) (08/14/90)

My interactive sales rep just sent me some info on a dBASE-like database
for ISC UNIX 2.2 called "Recital".  Has anyone out there used this
database? I had never heard of it until this morning.
--
Todd Ogasawara, U. of Hawaii
UUCP:		{uunet,ucbvax,dcdwest}!ucsd!nosc!uhccux!todd

gombo@tharr.UUCP (Alun Jones) (08/16/90)

In article <8977@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> todd@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
>My interactive sales rep just sent me some info on a dBASE-like database
>for ISC UNIX 2.2 called "Recital".  Has anyone out there used this
>database? I had never heard of it until this morning.

The simple answer is - yes, I have used it.
The complicated answer should start with a statement that I may be biased
about Recital - the company has very close links with the company I work for.
I even happen to know some of their employees.

That having been said, it's quite a good product on various grounds:
1) I've got a DBASE/FOXBASE application that I want put onto Recital.
This is the most usual reason for people to buy Recital, as far as I can see.
Recital themselves operate a porting service - send them an applicaation for
dBase, and they'll port it for you (although I could be wrong on this) - at
a charge, of course :)

2)I want a database that's reasonably easy to use, but powerful and
programmable.
Again, Recital fits the bill reasonably well here - it's faster than dBase
on a similar hardware platform, it's got some nice windowing/menuing options,
and for an ex-dBase programmer, it has a nice 'feel' to it.  As to power,
unfortunately my only comparison is with FoxBase/dBase - and the comparison is
very good.  I don't have any figures on me, but I'm sure Recital would be
happy to talk to you about them.

For my purposes, I am trying to port an application from Vax Recital to
Unix Recital.  The original application (Open Plan, a project management
system) was on PCs.  The port from Vax to Unix Recital has been quick for
the main database program files - the only changes being that unix uses
path names, but Vax can have logical drives, like on DOS.  (In other words, the
changes I had to make weren't due to Recital, but to Unix)

The only part of Recital I have a major quibble about is this:
Although you can automatically convert database files from dBase to Recital,
there are no facilities for the opposite conversion, nor are there any
to convert a Vax Recital dbf file into a Unix Recital dbf file.

If you're looking just for a dBase clone with bells on (a lot of really rather
good bells!), this program is good. Very good.

Note the disclaimer !!!!!!!!!!
These are my OWN PERSONAL VIEWS, and NOTHING TO DO WITH either RECITAL, or
Welcom Software Technology.

Alun Jones
Unix Development Engineer
Welcom Software Technology International
South Bank Technopark
90 London Road
London SE1 6LN   (That's London, ENGLAND to you!)