[comp.databases] Database for IBM PC

rw@cbnewsi.att.com (robert.h.wentworth) (08/01/90)

This is an elementary survey question regarding data base programs for
IBM PC compatibles.  I'd like to know what major products are available
that might suit our purposes, and what the general merits of each are...

Our application:

An uncle of mine runs a small mail-order plant
nursery.  He needs software to (1) handle mailing lists, (2) handle
orders (i.e., should be able to enter minimal information and recognize
old customers, enter catalog numbers or item names and get item data
on price, availability, etc., keep track of whether orders have been
processed, print packing lists, etc.), and (3) keep track of inventory
(items sold, available, $, etc.).

My uncle tells me that he's seen ads for commercial systems aimed at
mail-order businesses that go for $30k (far out of proportion to the
size of his business).  He's considering writing something "simple"
from the ground up---but he's basically a talented person with minimal
programming experience, and this seems to me to be a relatively
inefficient way to solve the problem.  I've never done anything
remotely related to data-bases (though I've done a lot of
programming), but it seem to me likely that this is exactly the sort
of thing one ought to be able to set up using a good programmable
data-base program.  Am I right, or am I misguided about how data base
programs work?

Suggestions on approaches to solving the problem?  Recommendations for
programs?  Criteria include flexibility for detailed customization,
ease of use of the final product, and expandability as the business grows.
(He already has a PC, so the hardware is fixed.)

We'd appreciate any relevant comments.

--
Robert H. Wentworth (201)888-7195 |"Give me back my innocence
AT&T BL HOHL-171, Holmdel NJ      | Get me a a new Cadillac

broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu (Barbara Roy) (08/03/90)

In article <1990Aug1.053314.1946@cbnewsi.att.com>, rw@cbnewsi.att.com (robert.h.wentworth) writes...
>This is an elementary survey question regarding data base programs for
>IBM PC compatibles.  I'd like to know what major products are available
>that might suit our purposes, and what the general merits of each are...

I have used a number of database products, but by far the one that ranks highest
for its ratio of power/ease of use is Paradox 3.0. This is a menu-driven product
that allows new users to create files/input forms/reports with minimal training.
The manuals are well-written also. The PAL programming language and Data Entry
Toolkit allow more advanced users to create complete applications. This is an
excellant product for non-programming types.

I have no affiliation with Borland other than being a satisfied user.

Barbara Roy, Weeg Computing Center, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA. 52242
Phone: 319-335-5506
Internet: broy@vaxa.weeg.uiowa.edu     Bitnet: broyva@uiamvs
Disclaimer: My opinions are solely my own and may change daily.

ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) (08/04/90)

In article <1990Aug1.053314.1946@cbnewsi.att.com> rw@cbnewsi.att.com (robert.h.wentworth) writes:
>This is an elementary survey question regarding data base programs for
>IBM PC compatibles....
> (text deleted)
>An uncle of mine runs a small mail-order plant
>nursery.  He needs software to (1) handle mailing lists....
> (text deleted)
>My uncle tells me that he's seen ads for commercial systems aimed at
>mail-order businesses that go for $30k (far out of proportion to the
>size of his business).  He's considering writing something "simple"
>from the ground up---but he's basically a talented person with minimal
>programming experience, and this seems to me to be a relatively
>inefficient way to solve the problem.  I've never done anything
>remotely related to data-bases (though I've done a lot of
>programming), but it seem to me likely that this is exactly the sort
>of thing one ought to be able to set up using a good programmable
>data-base program.  Am I right, or am I misguided about how data base
>programs work?
>
>Suggestions on approaches to solving the problem?  Recommendations for
>programs?....(text deleted)
>(He already has a PC, so the hardware is fixed.)

Paradox3 has received *very* good reviews from all the magazines I've seen so
far.  On top of that, the cost of the Paradox3 runtime package is only $29.95
for *unlimited* copies allowed to anyone you wish to sell your application to,
with *no* royalties.  Relative to other dbms packages I've seen, that's a very
attractive feature.  To make it even more attractive, anyone with a (any) page
or any original disk from any version of dbase, rbase, dataease, or one other
competitor's dbms package can get a full version of Paradox3 for only $150.

The 'upgrade' process can either be done by paying for an upgrade mailer kit
at your local software retailer (Egghead sells them for $145) to mail your
diskette or page into Borland. Or it can be done over the phone, by calling
800+331-0877 with a copy of a manual of the product you're 'upgrading' from
to read from as the operator validates you by asking the author's name.
About 2-3 weeks later UPS will drop a complete Paradox3 package on your door-
step.  At the same time that this is going on, Egghead will have sold many
copies of the very same materiel for $495 to customers who are avoiding the
$725 retail price.

The August 1990 issue of the Data Based Advisor, pp 82-87, features a case
study of how Paradox was used to develop an application specifically for
the nursery market.  It is an interesting article, and the author seems to
have done a very good job with Paradox.  If I were in the market, I'd give
him a call first.  According to the article, his name is James M. Gersonde,
Evergreen Systems, Inc., Crest Hill, IL. (815) 729-4040.

I have no connection with Borland or Mr. Gersonde.  I do like Paradox3, and
enjoy using and writing applications with it.  My employer has no connection
with my opinions on this matter either.

Ralph Carpenter
Sr Software Engineer
Tektronix, Inc.
Beaverton, OR

barr@frog.UUCP (Chris Barr) (08/10/90)

In article <6362@tekgen.BV.TEK.COM>, ralphc@tekcae.CAX.TEK.COM (Ralph Carpenter) writes:
> In article <1990Aug1.053314.1946@cbnewsi.att.com> rw@cbnewsi.att.com (robert.h.wentworth) writes:
> >An uncle of mine runs a small mail-order plant
> >nursery.  He needs software to (1) handle mailing lists....
> > (text deleted)
> >My uncle tells me that he's seen ads for commercial systems aimed at
> >mail-order businesses that go for $30k (far out of proportion to the
>
> Paradox3 has received *very* good reviews from all the magazines I've seen so
> far.  On top of that, the cost of the Paradox3 runtime package is only $29.95
> step.  At the same time that this is going on, Egghead will have sold many
> copies of the very same materiel for $495 to customers who are avoiding the
> $725 retail price.
>
> The August 1990 issue of the Data Based Advisor, pp 82-87, features a case
> study of how Paradox was used to develop an application specifically for
> the nursery market.  It is an interesting article, and the author seems to

A plant nursery owner friend developed a wonderful application a few years
ago, which he continues to enhance for his use, after trying to sell to
a limited market.  (I'd be happy to direct potential s.w. customers his way.)

He develops using SmartWare, now merged into Informix, and is very
enthusiastic about it, especially the newest release.

Smartware regularly receives high marks in reviews of 'integrated software'
for MSDOS.  It also runs under Unix.  The database & spreadsheet modules
also regularly receive high marks when reviewed as standalones.

Chris Barr
Charles River Data Systems
!decvax!frog!barr

ralph@svnet.UUCP (Ralph Barker) (08/19/90)

In article <1990Aug1.053314.1946@cbnewsi.att.com>, rw@cbnewsi.att.com (robert.h.wentworth) writes:
> This is an elementary survey question regarding data base programs for
> IBM PC compatibles.  I'd like to know what major products are available
> that might suit our purposes, and what the general merits of each are...
>
> Our application:
>
> An uncle of mine runs a small mail-order plant
> nursery.  He needs software to ... ...

After subtracting the religious issues (my database has a bigger .*
than yours), there are, I think, a couple of "basic" issues for him
to consider.  (1) the existing user base from which he can draw
support, both friendly (free) and professional (consultants, $$), and
(2) ease of programming.

The installed user base for PCs is still dominated by dBase and
compatibles.  This, in my view, provides a potential wealth of support
and potential adaptable applications.  Software is typically priced
reasonably, and is broadly available.  From my experience, basic stuff
is fairly easy to do, but more complex reports etc. are a bit tricky
or downright difficult to achieve with the core dBase product and
associated utilities.  (I haven't received dBIV.1 yet, so I can't
comment on its features and/or solutions to prior problems)

As an alternative, he might want to look at the PC implementations
of SQL/4GL products such as Informix, Oracle, etc.  My sense is that
the programming environment provided by these products is substantially
better than that of dBase and clones.  A number of companies are
doing development with Informix 4GL for accounting and business
applications.  These may be directly useful for him, depending on the
features he needs, and provide a migration path to the UNIX environment,
should his business expand.  They do, however, tend to be a bit
more pricey than dBase-at-a-discount.

The real bottom line is probably a balance between what he is willing
to spend for the database software itself, how much time he is
willing to invest, and how much weight to give to future considerations.
Off-the-shelf mail order packages are designed to handle the issues
involved in running that type of business.  Like any "vertical"
package, the market is fairly limited, so the prices tend to be
more substantial than "horizontal" software.  Here, the real
question is whether he is likely to invest $30K of his own time
in developing his own software, and what effect the investment of
time will have on his REAL business.
--
Ralph Barker:                SVNet, 640 So Winchester Blvd, San Jose,CA 95128
uucp: ...{pyramid, sun, uunet}!amdahl!aleph!svnet!ralph