[comp.databases] ORACLE PRO*C

marwk@levels.sait.edu.au (08/08/90)

I want to use TURBO C with ORACLE PRO*C.

Can it be done?  If not, why not?

What difference does it make linking TURBO C library files rather than MSC?

Thank you in advance.

Ray

kbittner@oracle.uucp (Kurt Bittner) (08/21/90)

In article <15237.26c01c30@levels.sait.edu.au> marwk@levels.sait.edu.au writes:
>I want to use TURBO C with ORACLE PRO*C.
>
>Can it be done?  If not, why not?

Not currently.  We will be coming out with Turbo C support in the (hopefully)
near future.  You *can* currently use OCI with Turbo C if you are careful about
calling and argument passing conventions.  The OCI libraries are MSC, so if
you can link with an MSC lib, you can use OCI.  Note that this is not
*officially* supported.

>What difference does it make linking TURBO C library files rather than MSC?

Some of the library routines, mem. mgmt., etc. are different.  I also think
that the floating point libraries are totally different.  C is only *C* at the
source level; at the library level things can get very different.

>Thank you in advance.
>
>Ray

Kurt Bittner
Oracle Midwest Region
Chicago
(312) 726-1167

** My opinions are solely my own.                                   **
** I have enough trouble speaking for myself, let alone my company. **