[comp.databases] 3270 terminals accessing UNIX host by dialup?

wcs) (08/21/90)

We have a client with a bunch of 3270 terminals, cluster
controllers, etc., who would like to add some kind of dialup
capability to reach async hosts (or TCP/IP, or X,25 if necessary.)
What's a good way to accomplish this?

Also, does anyone make a convenient interface from this block-mode
side of the world into DBMSs like Oracle or Informix?
General SQL queries would be interesting, but the basic application
is fill-in-the-blanks and some searching for predefined queries.

			Thanks;  Bill
--
# Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs
# AT&T Bell Labs 4M-312 Holmdel NJ 07733

Great!! We get to have a war to protect Exxon and King Fahd!!

kevin@msa3b.UUCP (Kevin P. Kleinfelter) (08/22/90)

wcs@cbnewsh.att.com (Bill Stewart 201-949-0705 erebus.att.com!wcs) writes:

>We have a client with a bunch of 3270 terminals, cluster
>controllers, etc., who would like to add some kind of dialup
>capability to reach async hosts (or TCP/IP, or X,25 if necessary.)

Two ways: 1) put the IBM asynch cards in the 3174 cluster controllers;
   these can be configured for dial-out as well as dial-in. I think that
   each card provides 8 serial ports, and you'll get microcode to hack an
   emulation out of a 3270 (but you'll have to press an attention key
   anytime you want data sent).  2) Put a Mitek box on the host, and it
   will let you connect via TCP/IP to Unix; it too provides an asynch
   terminal emulation for a 3270.

Depending on the number of terminals, it may be cheaper to buy $300 terminals
for each user. Plus, the 3270 is NEVER going to provide a good asynch terminal,
because it is inherently a block mode terminal.
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Dun and Bradstreet Software, Inc (404) 239-2347
{emory,gatech}!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

"Don't hold your finger on the button if the motor ain't goin' roundy-roundy."