[comp.databases] SQL*Forms Question

larned@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Paul Larned) (08/22/90)

I am creating a form using Professional Oracle 5.1b and SQL*Forms 2.3.  In
this form I call another, look-up, form using the "callqry" macro.  The
second form is a small box, and I want to overlay it on the main form, like
a "pop-up" window.  However, Forms seems to only want to replace the main
screen with a screen which is mostly blank except for the small box.  Is
there a way to overlay the smaller form on the main form and then remove it
and recover the portion of the main form covered by the overlay?
I can't seem to find this information in the manuals.
Thanks for any assistance.

Paul Larned
larned@uhccux.UUCP.Hawaii.edu

tgreenla@oracle.uucp (Terry Greenlaw) (08/22/90)

In article <9086@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> larned@uhccux.UUCP (Paul Larned) writes:
>I am creating a form using Professional Oracle 5.1b and SQL*Forms 2.3.  In
>this form I call another, look-up, form using the "callqry" macro.  The
>second form is a small box, and I want to overlay it on the main form, like
>a "pop-up" window.  However, Forms seems to only want to replace the main
>screen with a screen which is mostly blank except for the small box.  Is
>there a way to overlay the smaller form on the main form and then remove it
>and recover the portion of the main form covered by the overlay?
>I can't seem to find this information in the manuals.
>Thanks for any assistance.
>
>Paul Larned
>larned@uhccux.UUCP.Hawaii.edu

I have a document that describes how to do this that I will post if enough
people are interested. Basically, what you need to do is go into the CRT
utility and disable both the clear screen code and the hardware scrolling
option. Then, anytime you go to a block on another page, it is drawn on the
current page without the current contents being erased. When you go back to
the first block, SQL*Forms will repaint what was overwritten. This will also
allow you to implement pull-down menus. Of course, this is all unnecessary
with SQL*Forms 3.0, which has both of these features available.

Terry O. Greenlaw             Sheathed within the Walkman,
Staff Engineer                Wear a halo of distortion.
Oracle Corporation            Aural contraceptive,
tgreenla@oracle.oracle.com    Aborting pregnant conversation - Marillion

anderson@well.sf.ca.us (David E. Anderson) (08/24/90)

In article <9086@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> larned@uhccux.UUCP (Paul Larned) writes:
>I am creating a form using Professional Oracle 5.1b and SQL*Forms 2.3.  In
>second form is a small box, and I want to overlay it on the main form, like
>a "pop-up" window.  However, Forms seems to only want to replace the main
>screen with a screen which is mostly blank except for the small box.  Is
You need Forms V3, not available yet on MS-DOS.

David E. Anderson, Redwood City, CA    (415) 592-1101
Independent Database Consultant (formerly with Oracle kernel Support Group)
UUCP:  {uunet,pacbell}!well!anderson    Oracorp mail: unix:well!anderson
First learn your horn and all the theory.
Next develop a style. Then forget all that
and just play.          Charlie Parker [?]