[comp.databases] filePro

tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) (08/17/90)

I tried mailing but it bounced.

What do you want to use it for?  That what I need to answer your question.

But in a nutshell:

It's fast at looking up records.
Slow at running it's user supplied programs (process tables).
Process tables use a language that looks a lot like basic.
The format of the process tables is a pain in the butt if you use it full
	time but is ok on a quickie basis.
Does not use var. length records (boo).
Is not a RDBS, though you can program it to act like one.
Be sure and get the plus version.

Do I know what I'm talking about?  Maybe, been using it since '82.
Am I going to use something else?  Doubt it, I have too much time invested in
this one and all of the programs that I've written.  To convert to something
else would take a long time.  And I don't want to write in 2 languages.

Tony Holden
tony@jassys
Subject: Re: request info on filePro

---
Tony Holden
tony@jassys

--
Tony Holden
tony@jassys

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (08/20/90)

   Sounds like you have been using Filepro since the beginning like myself,
with one exception.  Ive tried converting and using Unify, Dbase, & Informix
along with a few others since.  Though I have a few complaints myself with
Filepro, like no higher builtin math functions,  I,ve not found anything else
to compare it with.   It is a 4GL for sure because of the production time
reductions.  It is a relational/flat model both, but must be setup for
relations as with all DBs.  The relational model setup is a pain to keep
coded correctly and complex tables are slow, but you can get done with
ease what no other DB can do without a year of programming.

Other benifits: Runs across all platforms, MESdos,Unix, Xenix, HPux, VMS.
                Machines from a PC to the CRAY including HP, DEC.
		Runtime debugging
                Software site passwords
                Runtime versions (though a little to high in $$$)
                Networking versions.
                Reports can be coded for ANY type printers, cept PostScript.

   If the models you are creating are not too complex, it cant be beat.
   If the models are complex, it still cant be beat!.

   For best results, run Unix, or Xenix versions to access external programs
to make up for missing functions like higher math etc.

   Though I have some complaints with Filepro, I,m unable to find anything
that can touch it so far.  Where I have complex the same Dbs runing on
Xenix, mssdos, and Unix, converting is going to have to be worth it for sure.

  Other than disk space ,why would you want variable lenght records ???

Standard disclaimer

Rick Furniss

tony@jassys.UUCP (Tony Holden) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug20.151639.7359@pmafire.UUCP>, rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) writes:

> It is a relational/flat model both, but must be setup for
> relations as with all DBs.  The relational model setup is a pain to keep
> coded correctly and complex tables are slow, but you can get done with
  ^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
  It's a flat file model that has a language that will let you open other
tables.   If it's relational then BASIC is also.

> Other benifits: Runs across all platforms, MESdos,Unix, Xenix, HPux, VMS.
>                 Machines from a PC to the CRAY including HP, DEC.

I don't think they have the Cray version running yet (1/2 :-)).

>                 Networking versions.
Only DOS networking, not Unix.

>   Other than disk space ,why would you want variable lenght records ???

Disk space.  The more you use your "relational" programing skills the
slower filepro gets, opening & closings those other tables does slow things
down.  If I could have VLR then I could have a 800 char text field in the same
table as all of my other order info.  But the way things are now if I save that
record with nothing in that 800 char field then I will save out 800 blank
characters.  Yuckie Pooh.  So now I have to save it out in another table and try
to catch it when someone is trying to delete it's parent record.  Or run a
maintenance program at night that trys to pairs all of the records up.  I'm
not saying that it can't be done (I have to do it), I'm saying that it's dirty
and that Small Computer Co. can do better.

A bit of history here for others.  filePro16 and 16+ are put out by Small
Computer Co.  This program has it's roots in the Tandy programs called Profile,
which ran on the TRS-80 machines.  When Tandy came out with Xenix on the Model
16, Small came out with an upgraded version of Profile that was called Profile
16.  Tandy may still sell it today for all I know.  Small Computer Co pissed
Tandy off by charging a jacked up price for Profile 16.  Tandy thereby stopped
pushing Profile 16 as a favorite program.  Small then had to come out into the
real world and compete with everyone else.  They haven't had the resources
to catch up to everyone else in the market.  They mainly live off of people
out learned Profile and Profile 16.  If you remember a few years ago Profile 16
was voted most popular in Unix ??????.  At that time Tandy had the most
Xenix/Unix sites in the US(world?).

Yea I use filepro.  Even made a living on at one time, may again.  But that
doesn't mean I like it.

--
Tony Holden
tony@jassys

rickf@pmafire.UUCP (rick furniss) (08/24/90)

   Version 3 & above are very professional, & intuitive.
Not that ANY software dosent have problems of one kind or another,
the big question IS , what else would you rather use ???

  If there is something better, I,d love to get my hands on it.

   Anyone having experience with Filepro+ 3 or >, and other DB's
have any comments, or recommends ?

Standard DISClaimer

Rick Furniss
rlf@inel.gov