[comp.databases] 4GL + SQL

fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) (08/14/90)

fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:

originally posted in comp.unix.i386

.>Just received a blurb from MPD International on the Sculptor product.
.>Claims to be one of the fastest 4GL's on the market.

.>Has anybody seen this product and is it worth taking a closer look at?
.>fred

--
Fred Rump  "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will
26 Warren St.   	piss on your computer."    domain: fr@icdi10.compu.com

craig@Unify.Com (Craig Isaacs) (08/17/90)

In article <1201@icdi10.UUCP> fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:
>fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:
>
>.>Just received a blurb from MPD International on the Sculptor product.
>.>Claims to be one of the fastest 4GL's on the market.
>
>.>Has anybody seen this product and is it worth taking a closer look at?

I get a demo of Sculpter while at the Unix User show in the UK. (Is
it available in the US?)  Anyway, the system seemed pretty nice,
but works only with flat files.

Also, I may be wrong (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am :),
but I think the form generator generates 4GL, which could
be a problem when modifications or maintenance is required.

>--
>Fred Rump  "Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will
>26 Warren St.   	piss on your computer."    domain: fr@icdi10.compu.com
>Beverly, NJ. 08010               uucp:   ...{bpa dsinc uunet}!cdin-1!icdi10!fr
>609-386-6846          "Freude... Alle Menschen werden Brueder..."  -  The Ode

Disclaimer: I work for Unify Corporation, which also develops a 4GL
(although for a different marketplace).....

--
Craig Isaacs        *Unify Corporation*        internet: craig@unify.UUCP
voice: (916) 920-9092                    ...!{csusac,pyramid}!unify!craig

rick@comspec.uucp (Rick McCalla) (08/24/90)

In article <1201@icdi10.UUCP>, fr@icdi10.UUCP (Fred Rump from home) writes:
> fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:
>
> originally posted in comp.unix.i386
>
> .>Just received a blurb from MPD International on the Sculptor product.
> .>Claims to be one of the fastest 4GL's on the market.
>
> .>Has anybody seen this product and is it worth taking a closer look at?
> .>fred

Fred- Sculptor really is a very fast 4GL and I would strongly recommend
that you take a look at it.  I may be somewhat biased as we are the Canadian
agent for it but I am also a user of it and it is easy to write in/modify,
fast on execution and compilation, completely portable between platforms
(without recompiling) and mostly extremely reliable even on large databases.

If you have any questions please contact MPD or email myself.

Rick

--
Comspec Communications Inc.  | Rick McCalla  ----- rick@comspec.UUCP
Toronto, Ontario  Canada     |----------------------------------

In article <jd12648@Unify.Com>, craig@Unify.Com (Craig Isaacs) writes:
> Also, I may be wrong (I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am :),
> but I think the form generator generates 4GL, which could
> be a problem when modifications or maintenance is required.
>
> Disclaimer: I work for Unify Corporation, which also develops a 4GL
> (although for a different marketplace).....

Both the report and screen form generators do in fact generate 4GL code but
it is source code that can easily be modified and maintained.  It also
provides an excellent starting bases for most applications.

Users of Sculptor also have the option of using the SQL query language to
generate reports directly.

Disclaimer: Comspec is the Canadian agent for Sculptor 4GL +SQL