[comp.databases] windows databases with actor

pixel@hobbes.cc.iastate.edu (Rauhauser Neal Robert) (08/25/90)

Some of my original message and Bruce's reply
>>From: bwb@sei.cmu.edu (Bruce Benson)

>>    I have been developing applications in Actor and patiently
>>waiting for some PD database classes to show up. My patience
>>is nearly at an end. I need a light weight DBMS for Windows
>>that will allow me to produce a compiled version of the
>>application and distribute it without a runtime. I've been

*deleted stuff*
*QE is Pioneer software's Q+E package for windows, Q+E == query + edit

>The idea is that Actor can use QE as a database engine (dbase, SQL server,
>etc) via DDE.  This is of course all theory as I have not yet been able
>to get Actor to use DDE in a useful manner.  If anyone has put together a
>DDE class for Actor (initiate, execute, poke, terminate, etc) that is
>more complete than the example provided by Whitewater, I would love to get
>a copy. I suspect you need to be a *real* windows programmer (ie, have the
>SDK and documentation) to figure out how to use DDE in actor.

    I have received a copy of Asymetrix's ToolBook and its the answer
to all my prayers. In addition to a beautiful OO development environment
it has simple (to use) access to window's dynamic link libraries - one of
which is stuffed full of dBase functions. I'll post more on
ToolBook when I'm deeper into my current project.

   I think I've got enough information on DDE's behavior and
actor to produce a simple class that will handle DDE. I'll
post when its done.

  I have Q+E, the nice ppl at pioneer sent me an eval copy :-)
If you, the hapless end user, can't come up with the $229 for
a mail order copy, scrape together $129 and call me at
800 - 728 - 4692 and I'll drop you a copy C.O.D. cash - gotta
love these wholesale prices dealers get :-)

         Neal

p.s. am I posting in the right area, or should I be in comp.pc.somegroup?
Does anyone here want an (Actor/oo for windows/oo database stuff) group??