[comp.databases] Re : Updatable Views

setas01@cai.com (08/22/90)

In one of the postings gordon@mead.UUCP (Gordon Edwards) writes:

> No one is questioning the ability to create a view containing a UNION.  Can
> the view be updated is the question.

 My impression from the first posting was that some databases do not permit
 UNIONs in view definitions.

> My previous post argues the case from a logical point of view.  To be
> updatable, the INSERT, UPDATE, and DELETE operations have to be defined.  If
> the view is created with a UNION, which table will a tuple be inserted?

 Yes, if the view consists of ONE table, CA-DB ** does ** permit an update.
 ( not if the view consists of more than one table ) I doubt if any vendor
 permits updateble views.

Ashok Sethi

Standard Disclaimer :

" The views expressed are mine and not of my employer. "

nigelc@cognos.UUCP (Nigel Campbell) (08/28/90)

In article <330.26d1980a@cai.com> setas01@cai.com writes:
>In one of the postings gordon@mead.UUCP (Gordon Edwards) writes:
[stuff deleted]

> Yes, if the view consists of ONE table, CA-DB ** does ** permit an update.
> ( not if the view consists of more than one table ) I doubt if any vendor
> permits updateble views.

Starbase from Cognos and Interbase from Interbase Corp allow multi-table
views to updated . To achieve this you define triggers for the view
that perform the relevant store,modify,erase rules that you want to
have applied . Rdb/Vms supports triggers alos but I am not sure if it
can support a similar concept .

--
Nigel Campbell          Voice: (613) 783-6828                P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002                3755 Riverside Dr.