[comp.databases] Oracle Application Foundation on Suns

depner@Thalatta.COM (August Depner) (08/29/90)

We're trying to bring up Oracle Application Foundation on a Sun 3/50,
without success so far.

Configuration:

Sun 3/50, 4Mb, SunOS 4.0.3 (no patches), Diskless

The Oracle executables and db files live on a diskful Sun 3/50 running
Sun OS 3.5 and are mounted via a NFS partition.

The barebones DBMS runs fine, but when we try to install Application Foundation,
the install script bombs after a while with an ORACLE error of 01547 - failed to
allocate extent of size 'xxx' in tablespace 'SYSTEM'.  We've pared down what we're installing and
increased the size of tablespace 'SYSTEM'  several times with no luck. At present, we are allocating
over 100 Mb of diskspace to ORACLE, and cannot complete the install.

ORACLE has not been of any help - does someone out there have experience with this kind of problem?
We're getting very frustrated with what should be a simple install - ORACLE just tells us to increase
the size of tablespace 'SYSTEM' - but we've done just that, making SYSTEM one contiguous file - and
we're still getting the same error code of 1547. Trying to get ORACLE to help hunt down this problem has
proved difficult, since they seem to be either stumped or too disinterested in our installation to help
solve this problem.

Gee, and we *were* thinking of buying this stuff... :-(
--

In-Real-Life: August Depner, Thalatta Corporation, (+1 206 455 9838)
Domain: depner@Thalatta.COM   Path: ...!sun!sunup!thebes!depner

larrys@crg5.UUCP (Larry Scheurich) (08/29/90)

In article <5559@thebes.Thalatta.COM> depner@Thalatta.COM (August Depner) writes:
>We're trying to bring up Oracle Application Foundation on a Sun 3/50,
>without success so far.
>
>The barebones DBMS runs fine, but when we try to install Application Foundation,
>the install script bombs after a while with an ORACLE error of 01547 - failed to
>allocate extent of size 'xxx' in tablespace 'SYSTEM'.  We've pared down what we're installing and
>increased the size of tablespace 'SYSTEM'  several times with no luck. At present, we are allocating
>over 100 Mb of diskspace to ORACLE, and cannot complete the install.

I've worked extensively with this product for the last two years, and have
some suggestions that may help.

If your database only contains a system tablespace, that may be your problem.
One of the very first steps of the install is to do a very large import of
a user known as APPLSYS.  This user contains all of the database information
about Application Foundation.  If you have only one tablespace, you're
probably getting "nailed" by rollback segments that are trying to grow
in the same tablespace that the data's going into.  In order to verify this,
you may want to run sqldba/monitor while the import's runninng to see
if that's the problem.  I suspect that this is the problem.  If it is,
you have three possible solutions:

1.  cd $FND_TOP/install/import
	- look at the file afsys40.dat (I think that's the name).  This file
	  contains the import parameters.  Make sure that it contains a line
	  that says COMMIT=Y.  This will help reduce rollback segment growth.
    then, re-run the install.
2.  Create two tablespaces other than your system tablespace.  Use one solely
    for rollback segment, and the other for applsys's data.  This will allow
    the rollback segments to grow without running into contention with the
    import.
3.  change the storage parameters on your rollback segments.  The keys are
    initial extent and pctincrease.

Let me know if this doesn't help, and I'll see if there's anything else that
we've done.

--
Larry Scheurich				uunet!sequent!larrys
Sequent Computer Systems		(503)-526-4240

"Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to"

scott@prism.gatech.EDU (Scott Holt) (08/30/90)

In article <19876@crg5.UUCP> larrys@crg5.UUCP (Larry Scheurich) writes:
>In article <5559@thebes.Thalatta.COM> depner@Thalatta.COM (August Depner) writes:
>>
>>The barebones DBMS runs fine, but when we try to install Application Foundation,
>>the install script bombs after a while with an ORACLE error of 01547 - failed to
>>allocate extent of size 'xxx' in tablespace 'SYSTEM'.  We've pared down what we're installing and
>>increased the size of tablespace 'SYSTEM'  several times with no luck. At present, we are allocating
>>over 100 Mb of diskspace to ORACLE, and cannot complete the install.
>
>If your database only contains a system tablespace, that may be your problem.
>One of the very first steps of the install is to do a very large import of
>a user known as APPLSYS.  This user contains all of the database information
>about Application Foundation.  If you have only one tablespace, you're
>probably getting "nailed" by rollback segments that are trying to grow
>in the same tablespace that the data's going into.  In order to verify this,
>you may want to run sqldba/monitor while the import's runninng to see
>if that's the problem.  I suspect that this is the problem.  If it is,
>you have three possible solutions:

It could also be a problem related to fragmentation in the system tablespace.
I haven't looked, but I would assume the import/export file was created with
compressed extents. If this is the case, then as each of APPLSYS's tables
is created, import attempts to allocate an initial extent large enough to hold
the whole table. If it cannot find a single extent large enough, you get
the above error. There could be plenty of total space in the system table
space, but no contiguous block large enough.

One thing that could cause the fragmentation is temporary tables. As tables
are created and destroyed, the tablespace containing them becomes more
fragmented. Since temporary tables are created and destroyed frequently,
there will be a great deal of fragmentation in whatever tablespace they are
created in. By default, the system tablespace is used as the temporary
tablespace.

The database view  freespace  (in release 6) should show you if there is
fragmentation. Freespace lists all free extents in the database, their sizes
and the files they reside in. A large number of small extents may be a
indication of fragmentation.

The tablespace to use for temp tables is a user parameter which you can
control with ALTER USER. If fragmentation is a problem, create a separate
tablespace and make it the tempspace for user APPLSYS.

- Scott
--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Scott Holt, Systems Analyst		Internet: scott@prism.gatech.edu