[comp.databases] OODBMS contacts

B.J.King@newcastle.ac.uk (Brian King) (08/20/90)

This is probably a frequently asked question, ..
Can anyone supply a list of contact addresses for companies
selling object -oriented databases. I have Ontologic's Vbase(Ontos)
information but I would like to get hold of information on Object
Databases (I think they are in Cambridge Mass.) , Objectivity
(? Calif.) and any other vendors. Questions :-
1. Does anyone have a full list of OODBMS currently available?
2. ,,   ,,,    ,, contact address, e-mail(!) preferable Europe ?
3. Are there any comparitive reports on commercial systems?
4. What are peoples experience with object database systems?

If there is enough interest, I will summarise to the group.

Brian

Brian King
B.J.King@newcastle.ac.uk

benson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dan Benson) (08/25/90)

In article <1990Aug20.140628.10304@newcastle.ac.uk> B.J.King@newcastle.ac.uk (Brian King) writes:
>This is probably a frequently asked question, ..
>Can anyone supply a list of contact addresses for companies
>selling object -oriented databases. I have Ontologic's Vbase(Ontos)

< stuff deleted >

Here is a list of commercial OODBMSs that I'm aware of.  If anyone has
any more please pass them on.

Product: GemStone
Company:Servio-Logic Development Corporation
	15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway, Suite 100
	Beaverton, OR  97006
Phone:	(503) 629-8383
FAX:	(503) 629-8556
Product: VERSANT
Company:Versant Object Technology (formerly OBJECT-Sciences)
	4700 Bohannon Drive, Suite 125
	Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone:	(415) 325-2300
FAX:	(415) 325-2380
Product: G-Base
Company:Object Databases (Division of Numatec, Inc.)
	238 Broadway
	Cambridge, MA  02139
Phone:	(617) 354-4220
Product: ONTOS
Company: Ontologic Inc.
	Three Burlington Woods
	Burlington, MA  01803
Phone:	(617) 272-7110
FAX:	(617) 272-8101
Product: ITASCA (based on MCC's ORION technology)
Company:Itasca Systems Inc.
	2850 Metro Drive, Suite 300
	Minneapolis, MN  55425
Phone:	(612) 851-3155
FAX:	(612) 851-3157
Product: ObjectStore
Company:Object-Design
	?
Phone:	(617) 270-9797 (Eastern USA) or (213) 412-8411 (Los Angeles)
FAX:	?

| Dan Benson                        benson@ee.washington.edu    |
| Dept. of Elec. Engr., FT-10                                   |
| University of Washington          (206) 685-7567              |
| Seattle, WA  98195                                            |

lgm@cbnewsc.att.com (lawrence.g.mayka) (08/27/90)

In article <6705@milton.u.washington.edu> benson@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dan Benson) writes:
>Here is a list of commercial OODBMSs that I'm aware of.  If anyone has
>any more please pass them on.

You forgot the one which, as of the last OOPSLA (October 1989), was
the *only* commercial OODB running in a commercial application:
Statice, sold by

Symbolics, Inc.
8 New England Executive Park, East
Burlington, MA 01803

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com

Standard disclaimer.

bridon@bdblues.altair.fr (Philippe Bridon) (08/28/90)

>any more please pass them on.

Please, add my company to this list of OODBMS vendors.

ALTAIR
BP 105, 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex, FRANCE
Tel: +33.1 39.63.54.17 -- Fax : +33.1 39.63.58.90
e-mail: altair@bdblues.altair.fr

Contact : Sophie Gamerman (e-mail: sophie@bdblues.altair.fr)

If you need further informations, please feel free to contact me (email, mail
or fax). We have several documentations on our company and product, and
copies of technical reports. We have also published in conferences (VLDB,
SIGMOD, ...) and you can find in IEEE transactions on Knowledge and Data
Engineering, Vol2, Num1, March 1990, the article: "The Story of O2",
which is a complete description of our works.

If you live far from France, we have perhaps a site near you where you
can see our prototype (several in US, and also Canada, Japan, Europe).
We will exhibit in OOPSLA/ECOOP'90 (October, Ottawa, Canada). It can be a
good opportunity to see the prototype (and perhaps the alpha-test) and talk
with us.

Philippe BRIDON

and here are some informations about us:

The objective of Altair is to build a new generation database system named O2.
The functionalities of the system include that of a database management system
(DBMS), of a programming language, and of a programming environment.

O2 is an object-oriented DBMS. As a database system it provides support
for accessing and updating large amounts of persistent, reliable, and shared
data. As an object-oriented system, it supports features such as complex
objects with identity, inheritance, encapsulation, overriding, and late
binding of methods to objects.

To make the design of applications easier, the integrated programming
environment offers tools to design a graphical user interface, to debug
applications and to query both data and schema. It also includes a toolbox
containing useful ``software components'' to design usual applications.

The commercialization of the product will start on the second trimester of
1991, the beta-tests having started end of 1990. A prototype was already
available in september 1989 and has been used by 12 companies. It is also
being used for teaching and research purposes in about 50 universities all
over the world.

PS: Francois Bancilhon, Director of Altair, is one of the authors of the
"OODBMS Manifesto" (Conference DOOD'89).

(Forget the header, I have some trouble with the news follow-up system,
Just read my signature !)
| Philippe BRIDON                  |  Email : bridon@bdblues.altair.fr        |
| ALTAIR                           |     or : ...!mcvax!inria!bdblues!bridon  |
| BP105, 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex    |  Phone : +33 (1) 39.63.54.42             |
| FRANCE                           |    Fax : +33 (1) 39.63.58.90             |

haim@taichi.uucp (24122-Haim Kilov(3786)m000) (08/31/90)

ANSI SPARC (Standards Planning and Requirements Committee) has established
an Object-Oriented Database Task Group. Among its activities are:
-- to define a common reference model for object databases,
-- to assess whether and where standardization of OODB systems is possible and
    useful,
-- to complete a Final Report containing, among other topics, a comparison
    of existing OODBMSs.
People interested in OODBTG are invited to contact Elizabeth Fong at
National Institute of Science and Technology, Tech.Bldg. A266, Gaithersburg,
MD 20899.
OODBTG is organizing a (2nd) workshop on standardization of object
database systems to be held in Ottawa, Canada, October 23, 1990
(the third day of OOPSLA conference). For participation please contact
Allan Otis at Servio, (503)629-8383.
Currently, the draft object data management reference model is available.
It will be further discussed at the workshop.
Hope this helps.

-Haim Kilov
haim@bcr.cc.bellcore.com

B.J.King@newcastle.ac.uk (Brian King) (09/04/90)

Recently I asked:
1. Does anyone have a full list of OODBMS currently available?
2. ,,    ,,       ,, contact addresses, e-mail(!) preferably Europe?
3. Are there any comparitive reports on commercial systems?
4. What are peoples experience with object database systems?

Questions 3 and 4 were not addresses in any replies I received.

A summary of questions 1 and 2 is given below. (This is a fleshed
out version of a full reply received from Dan Benson ((benson@ee.washington.
edu)) , thanks Dan). I do not guarantee the accuracy of these replies, I
am only summarising.

Regards

Brian

	S U M M A R Y   O F   R E P L I E S

< stuff deleted >

Product: GemStone
Company:Servio-Logic Development Corporation
	15220 NW Greenbrier Parkway, Suite 100
	Beaverton, OR  97006
Phone:	(503) 629-8383
FAX:	(503) 629-8556
Company:Servio Corporation
	1420 Harbor Bay Parkway, Suite 100
	Alameda, CA   94501   USA
Contact:Annamarie Ahmed
Tel:	415-748-6200)
Company:Servio Europe Plc (European Contact)
	Richard J Cahill, International Marketing,
	Park Mount, Newtownpark Ave., Blackrock,
	Dublin, Ireland
Phone:	+353 1 893346
Fax:	+353 1 897002
Notes:
(From marcs%SLC.COM%servio@uunet.uu.net Mon Aug 20 23:40:18 1990)

 From our company's recent press release:

    Servio Corporation, formerly Servio Logic Development Corporation, was
    incorporated in 1982 with the mission to develop advanced computer
    database systems. Originally a high-tech research and development
    organization, the company changed its focus to the commercial
    marketplace in 1986 and introduced GemStone, the market's first object
    database system, in 1987. The company is committed to supporting
    standards. Servio executives are members of the X3/SPARC Database
    Systems Study Group Task Group on Object Oriented Databases and the
    Advisory Board of the Object Management Group (OMG) Educational
    Division. Servio is also acting chair of the Object Management Group
    (OMG) Special Interest Group on databases, and is a member of the Open
    Software Foundation (OSF). The company is headquartered in Alameda,
    California, and has over 70 employess. Servio offers comprehensive
    sales, service, and support to customers through offices in Beaverton OR,
    Boston, Washington D.C., and Alameda CA.

    Servio Corporation
    1420 Harbor Bay Parkway
    Suite 100
    Alameda, California 94501

    Phone: 415-748-6200
    Fax:   415-748-6227
Email:	'richter!naomi' (Naomi Nielson)
Product: VERSANT
Company:Versant Object Technology (formerly OBJECT-Sciences)
	4700 Bohannon Drive, Suite 125
	Menlo Park, CA  94025
Phone:	(415) 325-2300
FAX:	(415) 325-2380
Misc:	Michael Seachols - President
	John Hughes - VP sales (jhughes)
	Dr. Mary Loomis - VP Tech Services (mloomis)
	Dr. Kee Ong - VP R&D
	Dr. C.P. Chou - Eng'g Prod Mgr
	Dr. Hong-Tai Chou - system architect
	Barbara Shelhoss - VP marketing
	Susan Dickerson - VP sales for Sun
	H. Stephen Au-Yeung
	Joe Keane (jgk)
	John Cribbs - tech support
Email:	@osc.com
Product: G-Base
Company:Object Databases (Division of Numatec, Inc.)
	238 Broadway
	Cambridge, MA  02139
Phone:	(617) 354-4220
Fax:	(617) 547-5420
Email:	<user>@odb.com
Misc:	Bill Frank - VP sales
Notes:
(From gael%odb.com%hawaii@uunet.uu.net Sat Aug 25 04:38:27 1990)
Object Databases is a subsidiary of Graphael/Soretas:

	Graphael/Soretas
	Avenue de Landshut
	60200 Compiegne
	France
Tel:	44 86 03 30
Fax:	44 86 02 26

You will be able to get the informations you need in any of these
companies...
Product: ONTOS
Company: Ontologic Inc.
	Three Burlington Woods
	Burlington, MA  01803
Phone:	(617) 272-7110
FAX:	(617) 272-8101
Misc:	Tim Andrews - chief architect (andrews)
	Jeff Magill - VP sales
	Josh Duhl - engineering & product manager (duhl)

Company: Ontologic Inc.
	76 Lippard Ave
	SF, CA 94131
Phone: (415) 469-8494
Fax:   (415) 469-8083
Misc 	Adrian Blakey - tech support
Email:	uunet!ontologic!<user>
Product: ITASCA (based on MCC's ORION technology)
Company:Itasca Systems Inc.
	2850 Metro Drive, Suite 300
	Minneapolis, MN  55425
Phone:	(612) 851-3155
FAX:	(612) 851-3157
Product: ObjectStore
Company:Object Design, Inc
	One New England Executive Park
	Burlington
	MA 01803
Phone: (617) 270-9797
Fax:   (617) 270-3509

Misc:	Thomas Atwood - founder and chairman
	Eugene Bonte - VP marketing (gene)
	David Stryker - VP Eng'g
	Dan Weinreb - Lead S/w architect (dlw)
	Jack Orenstein - Tech Staff
	Gordon Landis - Tech Staff
	Bob Walmsley - Tech Staff (bobw)

Company:Object Design, Inc
	6033 West Century Blvd #400
	Los Angeles, CA 90045
Phone: (213) 412-8411
Fax:   (213) 412-8686

Misc:	Marc Crawford - Western Region Sales Manager
Advisory Board: Dr. Stanley Zdonik
                Dr. David Maier
                Dr. Michael Carey
Email:	@odi.com
Product: Objectivity/DB
Company:Objectivity, Inc.
	800 El Camino Real, 4th floor
	Menlo Park
	CA 940025
Phone:	(415) 688-8000
FAX:	(415) 325-0939
Misc:	Bob Field - President
	Larry Lai - Eng'g Mgr
	Drew Wade - VP Eng'g (drew)
Email:	<user>@objy.com
Product: Altair/O2
Company: Altair - Third Coast Software, Inc.
	8716 N. Mopac, Suite 200
	Austin, Texas 78759
Phone:	(512) 794-9994
Fax:	(512) 794-9997
Email:	Haran Boral-President TCS (boral@cs.utexas.edu)
Company: Altair
         B.P. 105, Rocquencourt
         78153 Le Chenay Cedex
         France
Tel:     +33 (1) 39 63 54 17
Fax:     +33 (1) 39 63 58 90
E-mail:  altair@bdblues.altair.fr
Contact: Sopie Gamerman   (sophie@bdblues.altair.fr)
Notes:
(From mark@motown.altair.fr Wed Aug 22 21:03:23 1990)
If you're interested in prototypes as well as currently-marketed
OODBMSes, especially in Europe, count us in.  Our system, O2, will go
into final beta testing in November and onto the market in early 1991.
Apart from an object-oriented DBMS, O2 contains a graphical user
interface based on Motif, an object-oriented query language, and its
own graphics-based programming environment.
Product: Statice
Company: Symbolics Inc.
	8 New England Executive Park,
	East Burlington, MA 01803
Phone:  ?
Fax:    ?
Email:  ?
Notes:
From lgm%com.att.cbnewsc@att-in.att.com Wed Aug 22 02:08:19 1990

Symbolics Inc. sells Statice, a true industrial-strength OODB with
persistence and multiple-processor sharing.  Statice is smoothly
integrated into the Symbolics Common Lisp language and environment.

Brian J. King              | Voice: +44 91 222 7241     Fax: +44 91 261 1182
Dept. of Chemical Engineering | JANET: B.J.King@uk.ac.ncl
Newcastle University          | UUCP : B.J.King%newcastle.ac.uk@ukc.uucp
Tyne and Wear NE1 7RU UK   | Internet: B.J.King%newcastle.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu